Too much priming sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tsname

Reaction score
So I'm making an American Wheat beer and I usually make 3 gallon batches. Well, while calculating for this, I ended up only having 2 gallons, or 22- 12 ounce bottles. I recalculated for the amount of priming sugar and for 2 gallons I should have about 1.5 ounces less. BTW I'm using DME to prime.

So what should I do? I hope I'm not looking at 22 bombs in my closet.

Probably not, do you know what volumes you wanted, and what volumes you're now expecting? Many hefeweizens are highly carbonated and it adds to their appeal. If you were expecting 2.5 volumes (kind of standard carbonation level), you'd be getting 3.75 in your bottles. That's within range for a hefeweizen at least. I'm not sure how the high carbonation would play in an american wheat, but I would imagine they're similar.

That's pushing it, but it's not totally out of range for regular 12oz bottles. You can always pop the tops and recap, but I'd just keep them in a plastic bag in their box in case one or two do give up the ghost.

Maybe someone else can chime in about high carbonation for your style.

Put a lock on the door!

Seriously, you might try recapping the batch after 4-5 days. That may let enough of the excess co2 out. You may need to do it a second time.

I just bottled 5 gal. of American Honey Wheat today at 2.55 and used
4 oz. of corn sugar.That is my usual amount for that style.I`m not sure
on DME.I dont know if this will help you out but with dextrose that is
about normal.Yeast was WB-06.

Cheers

Back