Has anyone ever brewed a Kolsch, specifically by Brewers Best?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LarsonLE

Reaction score
Hello fellow home brewers! In the next couple weeks I will be making my third batch of beer and was wondering if anyone here as experimented with Brewer's Best Kolsch extract kit. I noticed that the kit comes with the plain ol' dry yeast, so I went ahead and ordered Wyeast's 2565, which is a yeast specifically for Kolsch beers.

Thanks,
LarsonLE

I brewed that about 6mo ago and it turned out well. I used the dry yeast but I am sure your Wyeast will give it that little extra touch needed to make it amazing.

Yes, I made that kit a long time ago and a friend of mine makes it regularly. Its actually a pretty good kit. The 2565 really improves it. Just let the yeast ferment cool (60F) and leave it alone for a few weeks. You will almost assuredly see that even after 3 weeks, there is still a thick krausen. Don't worry about that because it is perfectly normal for 2565. Just be sure to check the gravity to see if its done and if so, go ahead and bottle.

+1 on keeping it cool.2565 can get winey at temps over 70... and keep in mind that fermentation activity increases temperature by a couple degrees so even if the air temp is 70 you'll likely be pushing 72-74 inside the fermenter.

Sweet, thanks for all of the helpful and assuring replies everyone!

I also made this kit last summer, and I used the exact yeast you're using for the same reason - Kolsch beer is specific to a region and uses a specific yeast strain so why not do it right? +1 to keeping it on the cool side ~60F.

The beer came out great, I think I added extra wheat DME since for some reason I like my beers (even the crisp summer ones) to be full-bodied and full-flavored (read: high alcohol content).

I also made this kit last summer, and I used the exact yeast you're using for the same reason - Kolsch beer is specific to a region and uses a specific yeast strain so why not do it right? +1 to keeping it on the cool side ~60F.

The beer came out great, I think I added extra wheat DME since for some reason I like my beers (even the crisp summer ones) to be full-bodied and full-flavored (read: high alcohol content).

Sweet deal, sweet deal. Good to hear that you have used the yeast I bought. Also, I have the perfect location to keep my beer at around 60 degrees.

I made a similar kit from NB a couple years back and I believe I used that same yeast. It turned out really well, it was a great refreshing beer for the summer. I actually made a double batch and added a bit of raspberry extract to one of them at bottling, which was a huge hit with friends and family who didn't usually drink a lot of beer. If you brew it again (or if you just want to experiment by adding some extract to your primed wort for the last few bottles), I'd definitely recommend it should you be interested. Happy brewing!

I have that in the fermentor right now. been there for 3 weeks. I used the dry yeast, but it suggested that i mix it with warm water first. withinin 3 hours the airlock was bubbling away like crazy. cant wait to try this one. It'll be my second homebrew. First one came out really good (imo).

I brewed this recently with the liquid Kolsch yeast and it came out great. It's the one beer that I have made that SWMBO actually likes. The key like everyone says is keeping it cool so it comes out crisp.

I brewed this recently with the liquid Kolsch yeast and it came out great. It's the one beer that I have made that SWMBO actually likes. The key like everyone says is keeping it cool so it comes out crisp.

Sweet, good to hear :D. What was your ABV?

Back