Partial Light American Lager Help Please!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

INeedANewHobby

Reaction score
I'm trying to finalize the list for a light american lager I want to brew this weekend, but am having a hard time with the rice...My local homebrew shop doesn't have the rice syrup that the recipe I found calls for, but does stock flaked rice. I will be partial-mashing 8oz of carapils, and am debating throwing the flaked rice in there too. My questions is, what are people doing for the extra enzymes to convert the rice in a partial mash? I know I could throw some 6 row in there to help, but I don't want or need the extra gravity.

How much 6-row (or 2-row if it's preferred) is needed to convert the flaked rice? The recipe originally called for one pound of rice syrup, so I'll be using an equivalent amount of flaked rice (sorry haven't done the math on that conversion yet).

Any help is appreciated!

Wow, only 21 views and no replies. Anybody have any suggestions?

I could just use 6lbs of the light LME and no adjunct or carapils....anybody ever brewed a straight bill like that? I'm afraid it might be too boring (as if the style isn't already!).

You could pick up some Amylase Enzyme from the LHBS and drop it in at the start of the mash, that would convert it. Otherwise, you could probably convert it by doing a cereal mash then putting an equivalent amount of 6 row in there.

Alternatively, you could just substitute cane/corn/beet sugar for the rice...

Back