The cure for your short hose troubles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought that was the idea, to get the same pour as if you had lower PSI while being able to keep the keg carbed at higher PSI. Or are you saying that the pour was slow like low PSI but foamy like high PSI? Thinking about the stainless version, and trying to clarify.

To clarify, on my Perlicks if I get 2 inches of foam with no rods at 10 PSI and then add rods it takes twice as long to pull the pint and there is still that same 2 inches of foam.

Hmmmm.......something is not right then. The slower pour should equal less foam. I wonder if there is some "obstruction" somewhere in the various connections, more likely in the shank/faucet that is causing extra turbulence. Any "bump" in the smooth flow (like where the line connects to the shank) will create turbulence and promote foaming. Obviously you can't do anything about the beer line to shank connection, but maybe there's something somewhere else.

I use the inserts with both a picnic tap and my faucets (Ventmatic/Shirron) and they work fine. I've had one keg where they didn't help much, and that keg was overcarbed. Taking care of the overcarb fixed it though.

This is awesome! I'd like to know how in the world someone thought of using that device for this?

Anyways, I put two in my Hefe dip tube and it cured my problem immediately! Too bad I only have about 2 or 3 more pints left...

Oh well, I put one in my Oktoberfest and that seems to be working great too.

Thanks so much for this quick, cheep and easy fix!

The former Ventmatic company used to make a "Flowgate" which when spliced into a beer line, increased the path of the beer, mimicing a longer line. Someone in the Maltose Falcons HB club came up with a homemade one (on their website) where they took the epoxy mixer, and put it in a short tube and spliced it into the beer line. Voila, homemade flow gate.

Bobby M started a thread about adding resistance INSIDE the keg by making the dip tube longer, which led me to the Eureka, of, heck just stick the mixer in the dip tube and avoid splicing anything into the beer line.

This is funny. I just set up my kegging system this weekend, just read this thread today, and just happen to have a lot of those epoxy mixers. I doubt I'll be having foaming issues with my first beer on tap (Orfy's mild), because it is only carbonating at 4.5 PSI. Maybe I'll do a side by side on the next batch.

This is funny. I just set up my kegging system this weekend, just read this thread today, and just happen to have a lot of those epoxy mixers. I doubt I'll be having foaming issues with my first beer on tap (Orfy's mild), because it is only carbonating at 4.5 PSI. Maybe I'll do a side by side on the next batch.

You are right! At first when I was kegging (I put my $.02 in on the stirrers a bunch of pages back) I loved these stirrers because they really helped me to serve my Belgian Pale and my APA kegs at 15 psi.

Cut to 9 months later and I have focused pretty much on UK beers and serving at 5 psi and having a couple stirrers in the tube I can pull the tap and come back 5 minutes later when it finishes. I take them out when I switch kegs but there is definitely no need for them on English bitter style beers.

I loved these stirrers because they really helped me to serve my Belgian Pale and my APA kegs at 15 psi............

......... I take them out when I switch kegs but there is definitely no need for them on English bitter style beers.

That's the beauty of these things. One doesn't have to have a dedicated line with a flow-gate or something similar in it. You can use them with any keg or any beer line/tap in your system. Add them in, or take them out, depending on what style you are pouring.

For the rest of the board, previosuly someone was asking if the inserts ever get stuck and my answer to that is yes.. I put two in a rootbeer line and one got stuck and I had to get a 3 feet piece of wire and push it out.. Having said that, it is a rootbeer line and is probably going to be sticky......

are they in the line or diptube? what is the serving pressure?

has anyone put some in 3/16 line? im curious what size to order for that as diptubes are .265 id.

The ones mentioned in the first post easily fit IN the dip tube. The next size smaller (diameter) do fit in Micromatic's 3/16 ID beer line. I don't know about other brands. They are difficult to put into the tubing, requiring softening the tubing in hot water and then using a delicate touch so you don't break the insert.

I ordered three of these from MMC on Friday and they were in my mailbox Monday. Less than $9 total. Installed and OMG as my kids would say. This is a godsend. I can't believe how easy this was and what a difference it makes. It's like the brew gods and the epoxy gods collaborated to provide us with highly carbonated foam free beer. Toast to the genius that led the way. God I love this website.

The ones mentioned in the first post easily fit IN the dip tube. The next size smaller (diameter) do fit in Micromatic's 3/8 ID beer line. I don't know about other brands. They are difficult to put into the tubing, requiring softening the tubing in hot water and then using a delicate touch so you don't break the insert.

do you mean 3/16 line? if not, how far is the tap from the keg? a mile?

I have mine directly in the dip tube so I know this doesn't answer your direct question but from ball lock coupler to cobra tap, the length is 5 inches of beer line.

For those of you who are using ice-maker tubing instead of the "swizzle stick"/epoxy mixer...how is that working out for you?

I'm using ice-maker tubing and I do see a little improvement but still have some foam, using 3-4' of 3/16" beer line. I'm wondering if I should convert to the swizzle stick/epoxy mixer for better results.

Thanks!

Hey peoples, im in Australia and trying to get some of these Bayonet Mixer Nozzle. Unfortunately McMaster wont post them to Australia. I was wondering if anyone has some laying around they could post to Aus for a tidy little profit. Ive tried changing my beer line, but im no chance. My cheap font is very cramped.

TYVM Damian

does anyone have thoughts on in the dip vs the line for dedicated root beer setup?

I said in an earlier post that I got one of the inserts stuck in the rootbeer line.. I meant to say i got it stuck in the diptube...

I have two inserts in the dip tube for my dedicated rootbeer setup and it works great. Excellent pour..

I said in an earlier post that I got one of the inserts stuck in the rootbeer line.. I meant to say i got it stuck in the diptube...

I have two inserts in the dip tube for my dedicated rootbeer setup and it works great. Excellent pour..

AND, i might add, I am pouring my rootbeer, carbed at 24 psi, WITH a 5 foot COBRA tap, and it stills pours perfectly.... This was a friggin godsend

Ice-maker lines are working great for me. Just cut to the same length as the dip tube. Make a clean 90 degree cut with a sharp box-cutter type blade. Easy to remove with a nudge from one end.

I keep the inlet gas at 18 psi going to a 5 tap manifold and 5' beer lines.

UPS just delivered mine. I sanitized and dropped three in the dip tube of a keg of Alaskan Amber clone. Wow, what a difference. I can bring the psi back up where it belongs now.

I probably could have gotten by just fine with two, but...

Thanks!

Just wanted to update. I've been putting these in my dip tube since my first post. What I have found is my foam level is MUCH lower after waiting a week or so for the carbonation to level out. I think I was agitating the beer when I put them in, and was having an improvement, just not as noticeable because I was comparing it to beer that had 'settled' already, then been agitated.

I'm afraid I have to eat my words. I will be using these in every high carb beer that I have. And just for the record I have been carbing up to 18psi at 38*F. with forward seal taps... just wanted to update.

Cheers,
Ryan

Alright.... I was geeked about the idea and ordered some. Had an IPA on 10psi pouring relatively well out of 5 foot lines and perlick taps. Was getting about a third of a glass of foam on the first pour.... much less on the second. But, added 2 of the "mixing sticks" from McMaster Carr and placed them in the diptube tonight... poured half a glass EXTREMELY slow then crawled to a dead stop. Nothing, the tap is completely dead.... not a drip. Keg is about a third full. Am I missing something?

And yes.... the gas is turned back on.

Alright.... I was geeked about the idea and ordered some. Had an IPA on 10psi pouring relatively well out of 5 foot lines and perlick taps. Was getting about a third of a glass of foam on the first pour.... much less on the second. But, added 2 of the "mixing sticks" from McMaster Carr and placed them in the diptube tonight... poured half a glass EXTREMELY slow then crawled to a dead stop. Nothing, the tap is completely dead.... not a drip. Keg is about a third full. Am I missing something?

And yes.... the gas is turned back on.

Weird! Never had a problem with that before.. I keep my beer carbed at about 10-12.. There were no leftover hops or anything in the keg that may have been sucked up and is now impeding flow?

Weird! Never had a problem with that before.. I keep my beer carbed at about 10-12.. There were no leftover hops or anything in the keg that may have been sucked up and is now impeding flow?

Sure don't think so, but I guess it's possible.... I'll pull the tube again and check... tomorrow. In the mean time I'll drink the Goose Island on the other tap. :drunk:

EDIT:

Went down stairs and opened it up, dropped the sticks out of the tube, washed the tube with starsan, and re-assembled with one of 'em. It poured a glass afterwards, but was slow and foamy. I'm blaming that on my moving the keg in and out of the keezer.... so we'll pull a pint tomorrow and see how it goes.

Thought I would just chime and say I've been using these things for a few weeks now, and they are working great for me. I think I am going to go to one and a half, as two slows the beer down a tad too much for me. Thanks for the idea.

Just ordered a 12 pack. Wish they would say how much shipping is but I doubt it's much more than 10 bucks if it is. I bet they are wondering why they have such a spike in demand for such a random item.

Just placed the order for mine from McMaster Carr, I hope you guys are right! This will solve all my headaches.

Just placed the order for mine from McMaster Carr, I hope you guys are right! This will solve all my headaches.

This will DEFINITELY solve your headaches... I cant imagine not having them installed not that they've been in place for 6 months or so.... Not often you get a fix to a problem that is cheap, easy, and fast! This is all those...

So I read through all the pages and I have decided to order these sticks and put them in the dip tube. I have a Honey Weizen that will be in the keg in a couple weeks after the secondary is completed. This will be the most carbonated beer I have kegged so far. According to the charts I have looked at, I will want this beer at 3.3-3.4 Volumes. At 40 degrees this will have my pressure around 23psi. My lines are 5', and I have fridge taps. Has anyone tried the sticks at that high of pressure? If so how many would you suggest and do they work at that pressure range? Also, if I am wrong at the 3.3-3.4 please step up and let me know. Thanks for all the help for I am new in this site and I am learning a lot. I wish I would have found it a long time ago.

So I read through all the pages and I have decided to order these sticks and put them in the dip tube. I have a Honey Weizen that will be in the keg in a couple weeks after the secondary is completed. This will be the most carbonated beer I have kegged so far. According to the charts I have looked at, I will want this beer at 3.3-3.4 Volumes. At 40 degrees this will have my pressure around 23psi. My lines are 5', and I have fridge taps. Has anyone tried the sticks at that high of pressure? If so how many would you suggest and do they work at that pressure range? Also, if I am wrong at the 3.3-3.4 please step up and let me know. Thanks for all the help for I am new in this site and I am learning a lot. I wish I would have found it a long time ago.

I just ordered the mixers. That was the easiest online order I have ever placed!! In and out of the website in under 30 seconds!!! Also, they are coming from about 3 hours away, and they ship out today, I should have them in a day or 2!!!!

..........According to the charts I have looked at, I will want this beer at 3.3-3.4 Volumes. At 40 degrees this will have my pressure around 23psi. My lines are 5', and I have fridge taps. Has anyone tried the sticks at that high of pressure? If so how many would you suggest and do they work at that pressure range? Also, if I am wrong at the 3.3-3.4 please step up and let me know. Thanks for all the help for I am new in this site and I am learning a lot. I wish I would have found it a long time ago.

The highest I've gone so far is 18 psi at 45*F. I have 8 ft lines, and two inserts worked great. Try two and if you need another, it is easy enough to add.

These are great and work very well. I just placed an order for another two dozen and will stop off and pick them up tonight! I keep forgetting that all the new kegs I got dont have these in them and one tap has a nice slow pour then the next is a rocket! For my setup 14 PSI and two of these with 5' of hose is golden.

How long is your serving line now?
What PSI do you run at?

Here is a question for all of the mixer stick experts!!: Is there any other side effects to a slow pour besides waiting for your glass to fill up? For example, any carbonation, or head retention issues? The reason I ask is because I am set at 20psi for a honey weizen and have 2 mixer sticks in the keg liquid tube. The beer is not fully carbonated yet, but this question popped in my head after a few glasses of good beer!!!

Back