Worst Commercial Beer You've Ever Had?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DoubleAught said:
Without question!

Dang! I've had a bomber of that sitting cold for almost a year now. There had to be some reason we haven't drunk it yet. I'm not scared, by any means, I just brew damn good beer and plenty of it, so, I just never get around to opening that bastard. My wife wanted to buy it because of the pink painted bottle. We were on a lil trip to Astoria so... It's sort of a souvenir, i guess. Even though we live in Portland. Wank!

I didn't think the voodoo was that bad, it wasn't a beer I would want to drink regularly but I'm glad I tried it because it's different.

My wife hates beer and loves sour beers so that gives me an excuse to expand my pallet.

The worst beer I think I have ever had was the widmer brrrr. I couldn't drink more than a single sip.

MGD, I think paint thinner would taste better. IMO most of the swill that Sam Adams brews, I like their Boston Lager but feel most of their other beers fall way short of what I would expect that brewery to come up with.

Worst beer I ever had was "Black Label" beer. Not the Generic "BEER" but the actual name brand "Black Label." Picked up a 12 pack when I was in college and low on funds. It literally tasted like beer flavored water. It's the only beer that I just tossed after having a couple drinks from the first one. No one needs to catch a buzz that bad.

Pretty much the entire standard line from Bridgeport. Their IPAs taste like lawn clippings and Kingpin red is nearly intolerable.

Rogues voodoo banana peanut butter whatever the F it is. I actually thought it was the bacon maple, cause of the same pink bottle, saw that everyone said it was gross, had to decide for myself. Well, didn't realize it was banana, but still disgusting.

Upthewazzu said:
Rainier Beer. So, so bad. But some people up in the NW live on that stuff. I bought a 12 pack and ended up giving the remaining 11 to my brother in law.

That stuff is pretty much currency in the more remote parts of AK. Don't know why they picked Rainier. Don't know why America picked the dollar either, though.

Game Day, $4.99 a 12 pack, Beer 30, same price and Elephant Malt Liquor "Served in the Royal court of Denmark"

When I was stationed at Fort Bliss in El Paso every Friday my buddies and I would go to a local gas station and we would pick out a man can of the cheapest/worst beer we could find and then whoever took the longest or couldn't finish theirs had to buy the real beer that night. Looking back it sounds stupid but those were great times. Now I just wish I could remember the names of some of those.

Dang! I've had a bomber of that sitting cold for almost a year now. There had to be some reason we haven't drunk it yet. I'm not scared, by any means, I just brew damn good beer and plenty of it, so, I just never get around to opening that bastard. My wife wanted to buy it because of the pink painted bottle. We were on a lil trip to Astoria so... It's sort of a souvenir, i guess. Even though we live in Portland. Wank!

I actually really enjoyed the Bacon Maple beer. If you're a fan of smokey beers you should try it. It starts of kinda sweet but the smokey finish is excellent IMO. Be sure to share it with a beer loving buddy or two so you won't have to finish the whole bottle if you don't like it.

Dos Equis. Disgusting rat piss.

Wow, I quite enjoy Dos Equis on tap at my local Mexican restaurant. If I had a choice between that and BMC the Dos wins hands down. Now on to a truly disgusting beer, try (or don't) some Victory Golden Monkey. Imagine sticking a straw into your yeast cake and sucking in a mouthful of trub.

This would definitely be Steel Reserve for me. When I was in college we decided to have an Edward 40 Hands party one night so we purchased a variety of 40's, including 2 Steel Reserves. We wrapped each 40 in a paper bag so no one knew what they were getting when they picked, and and the two people that got the Steel Reserves were definitely unlucky. I remember a distinct battery acid twang with this beer.

21st Amendment "hell or high watermellon". Tasted like vinegar with dish soap in it. I like everything else from this brewery, but they missed the mark with this one

21st Amendment "hell or high watermellon". Tasted like vinegar with dish soap in it. I like everything else from this brewery, but they missed the mark with this one

Funny, that one's on tap at my local right now and I was really put off by it. Don't know that I got those precise--ahem--flavors, but it was definitely a letdown.

Wisconsin club. Case cost 3.99 when in college around 20 years ago. We would buy a 12 pack of the good stuff (Milwaukee's best or old Milwaukee) to split between 3 people and the try to drink the Wisconsin club. It was truly awful...

Watermelon "flavor" always tastes soapy to me. Can't even tolerate watermelon Jolly Ranchers...

I wont say this is bad beer, but I was just not ready for the taste. I am always trying the seasonal brews from different companies, and Sam Adams make some good ones. So when I saw this beer (Porch Rocker?) brewed by Sam Adams and called a great German Radler, I bought a 6 pack.
Sam Adams....German....how can you go wrong? I about gagged when I took my first taste. Anyone that thinks ruining a good beer by cutting it with lemonade needs their heads examined.

Me and my buddy went down to poland (We're both from Norway) for the summer holidays. I think we were 16/17 at the time. We went to a local supermarket and grabbed tonnes of different beers, just sample as much as we could. At that time we weren't allowed to buy beer, but it was a bit easier in poland than back home. So when we got beer at home it was always a friends big brother who would supply us with the standard "folk-beer".

Anyways. I found a beer of which I can't recall the name of, but it was a 0.33l bottle, and was 11,3 ABV, and was cheap as hell. So obviously me being 16 I thought I found a gold mine, the motherload of cheapo partytime.

Not so. No wonder it was cheap, it was the worst beer I've had in my entire life, I don't even think I finished the bottle. It felt like it was the trub of normal commercial beers.

I can't recall the name for this, but either way, it was a little story :)
'

By far the worst craft beer I've had is Laughing Dog Alpha Dog. It's weird because it has good reviews on Beer Advocate, and I love big IPAs, but mine tasted exactly like pine needles and soap bubbles. Couldn't even drink half a pint before it was dumped.

It may or may not be the absolute worst, but the_Wife wanted to try Redd's Apple Ale the other night. It's one of those beers that pisses you off because it doesn't say anywhere on the label that it's brewed by Miller... but once you read that it's brewed with "real apple flavor and caramel coloring," it's pretty obvious that it's a BMC product. Took a swig, was hoping that it might be kind of a - what's the beer/cider combo, a snakebite? Was hoping it might be something interesting, but alas.... it's like diluted apple juice, like you watered down a sippy cup for your toddler. Fake apple juice, really (is it really THAT expensive to ferment actual apple juice?) It's basically an apple-flavored Zima, an "ale" because it's brewed with some kind of grain but it's clearly filtered to death (absolutely no malt flavor) and re-colorized and re-flavored. No hops, of course. But, it's got that fake flavor; it's an apfelwein-cooler, more or less.

It may or may not be the absolute worst, but the_Wife wanted to try Redd's Apple Ale the other night. It's one of those beers that pisses you off because it doesn't say anywhere on the label that it's brewed by Miller... but once you read that it's brewed with "real apple flavor and caramel coloring," it's pretty obvious that it's a BMC product. Took a swig, was hoping that it might be kind of a - what's the beer/cider combo, a snakebite? Was hoping it might be something interesting, but alas.... it's like diluted apple juice, like you watered down a sippy cup for your toddler. Fake apple juice, really (is it really THAT expensive to ferment actual apple juice?) It's basically an apple-flavored Zima, an "ale" because it's brewed with some kind of grain but it's clearly filtered to death (absolutely no malt flavor) and re-colorized and re-flavored. No hops, of course. But, it's got that fake flavor; it's an apfelwein-cooler, more or less.

I just threw up a little in my mouth.

the_bird said:

I had a friend from work raving about it right after it came out. I asked if it was a cider and she said she thought it was a beer with apple flavor. Didn't sound especially promising, even less so after I found out it was a Miller product. I gave it a fair shot anyway...it wasn't terrible and could probably be actually refreshing on a hot day, but if given the choice I'd go for an actual cider.

I have to say the most disappointing beers have been Kona's (various ones, can't remember them) and Arrogant Bastard. They're the only ones I had to choke down.
I hate Heineken, and any Budweiser swill.
I read maybe the first 50? pages and couldn't believe the hate for sam adams summer ale and cherry wheat. Haven't had cherry wheat in years, but always liked it. I love the summer ale on a hot day though.

I guess I got lucky and got forgiving taste buds....There really isn't any beer i truly hate....Except Natural Ice....Absolutely disgusting...

I found a new one, Indra Kunindra by Ballast Point. Holy god that was disgusting. It was immediate heartburn in a bottle.

Wild Blue Blueberry Lager... Made by BMC, and actually tastes worse. Cloyingly sweet and striped of any beer character.

yea what's up with fruit beers that have no trace of beer flavor? this one is truly just a sparkling blueberry wine, minus real blueberries

yea what's up with fruit beers that have no trace of beer flavor? this one is truly just a sparkling blueberry wine, minus real blueberries

They aren't beers, is the thing. They're competing with the Smirnoff drinks and Mike's Hard Lemonade and things like that, which don't bother me because they're at least honest about what they are. The Redd's pissed me off because it promised "I'm an ale!" when for all intents and purposes, it was no more an "ale" than Zima or a Bartles & James wine cooler.

Big Flatts Premium Brew. I had never heard of it and didn't buy it. A "friend" of mine bought it and couldn't drink it so he gave it to me. As far as I know it's only sold at Walgreens. I think I've been in a Walgreens once in my life and my first question is who goes to Walgreens exclusively to buy beer? I think at the time it was $3/6pack. I'm not saying price indicates everything, but it was dirt cheap.

Beer advocate reviews speak for themselves.

> Let me start by saying that I'm kind of p*&^%d that i
> didn't review this in time to add it to BA... P*$^%D!!!
> J/K! Anyhow to the review..
>
> 12oz can, bought at Walgreen's in Snellville GA @ $3.49 a
> 6pk. Yes its my birthday today so I said to myself, "Wtf,
> might as well"! States that this beer is brewed by
> "Brewmasters Choice". Honestly I'd rather trust a product
> clearly labeled as a Genesee brew than something Ive
> never, ever, ever heard of. Served into my Fischers .4l
> tulip (Oh yeeeaaa!!)
>
> Pours strait up WEE-WEE color, with a fizzy white 1/2 finger
> head that dissipates immediately.
>
> Smells like POOPIE, honestly... Smells like a stew of
> rotten veggies soaked in lingering POOT residue, not
> regular POOT but a foul intoxicating POOT from a LEGAL AMERICAN CITIZEN who just finished off 2 1/2lbs of HOTDOGS AND CHEESEBURGERS at a ALL American BASEBALL game spiked with rotten olives. I honestly have never smelled a beer like this. I'm wondering if a employee POOTED in this can before the top was slammed on it.

Now im dreading tasting this stuff. Holy cow! Tastes like water with a punch of rotten veggies, closely following the horrid nose. A slight touch of goat WEE-WEE, a wee bit of rotten corn husks, and something else thats definatly beyond freshness date.
>
> The mouthfeel is decent for a adjunct brew, kinda fizzy
> with medium carbonation goin on.
>
> Overall, if your homeless and looking for something to
> help you throw up that 3 week old burrito you found in
> that Taco Bell dumpster this beer is for you. Otherwise
> stay away from this beer, its only for the true pennyless
> drunk looking for something to keep him/her company while
> passing out under the I285/Sandy Springs bridge. Cheers!

I've had big flats and I didn't think it was bad as the BA guy said. It tasted like over corned bud light. I probably won't ever buy it again but I drank the whole sizer ( not in one sitting it was a one beer a day kinda beer) overall I wasn't overly upset I spent 2.99 on this beer. I'm more angry when I spend 12.99 on a pos bomber.

I finally have one worth bashing.
ShockTop, not sure if its beer, but Im positive it's an awful product.
Horrible!

I finally have one worth bashing.
ShockTop, not sure if its beer, but Im positive it's an awful product.
Horrible!

Yeah it's ****ing terrible. This makes me think of that Blue Moon commercial, lol. Should have animated the brewer taking a piss in the mash tun.

Back