Need a better cleaner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Misplaced_Canuck

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
NE Columbia SC - Formerly, Montreal Canada
I've been restoring an old SanAlloy keg and I've been trying to clean up the gas-in post, it's got a bit of black muck that just won't go away.

I gave it a soak in a strong oxy-clean solution, didn't touch it. I let it soak overnight in "goo-gone" (poppet removed), no go. I've got it soaking in Everclear now, not sure if that will do anything.

I was thinking of using a small amount of Red Devil lie in a water solution - is this safe for Stainless? I know I'll need to wear gloves, and probably eye protection.

Anything else I could try?

MC

Barkeeper's friend. It's cheap and great for stainless, porcelain, and tons of other surfaces. I use mine to clean my stovetop, kegs, to get ugly screenprinting off glasses, Le Creuset pots, etc. It's great stuff and easily removes rust and discoloration from stainless.

Hmm no I don't think it'll do much that way. You gotta really scrub it. If the poppet's removed, can you fit a small brush or pipe cleaner through the post?

.30 caliber (or smaller depending on post size) bronze bore brush, cordless drill and bar keepers friend. Try the same with oven cleaner.

Back