All Grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Check the group buys. You can get grain for $.50-$.60 a pound.
I 2nd it's the only way to go. The group buys are great, join a brew club and they will also most likely do group buys. If feels good to have 300lbs of grain and 8lbs of hops. If dooms day comes, I'll be the guy with the beer.

I wish we had a brew club around here, or that there were a few all grain brewers that I knew around here to group buy with.
One of the downsides to living in a small rural area.
The upsides make it worth it, but there are certainly downsides.

I wish we had a brew club around here, or that there were a few all grain brewers that I knew around here to group buy with.
One of the downsides to living in a small rural area.
The upsides make it worth it, but there are certainly downsides.

Try 50poundsack.com they have free shipping in the lower 48.

My last sack I got from Austin Brewers and was only charged $7.99 for shipping AND the 2 row was on sale to boot. Not sure how they do it.

Edit: make that $6.99
Also,it appears my LHBS is offering Rah 2 row for $39.80. This must be new as it's never been listed on their site before.

I lost my group buy "hook-up", so I recently ordered a sack from AHS along with a lot of other stuff. It all shipped for their flat rate of $4.99....

Only way to buy 50lb sacks of grain is through a brew club, direct from the malter, or occasionally a LHBS.
All those sites that offer free shipping on grain sacks inflate their prices to cover the shipping costs.

I buy mine direct from a local Malt House.
http://riverbendmalt.com/

Shipping is always the killer with 50lb sacks. I've found that for base malts northern brewer has the best price for me shipped. Usually around 35 bucks for 2-row and $12-15 for shipping. Even better than my LHBS, def cheaper than 50lbsack.com too. On occasion midwest has shipping deals that's the only time i buy sacks from them. I shop around every time I buy a sack I've never found one site to be consistently cheaper than the all the rest.

You might try calling around to any LHBS's that are within a reasonable driving distance. If you can get a good rate and pick up a couple sacks and some other supplies, it might be worth the drive. You really have to look at your situation though...if it's a 4 hour drive there and back, it's probably worth paying the shipping from the online shops.

Back