Christmas Lobster

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SOB

Reaction score
Lobster is a rarity around the SOB household but they were on sale (fresh, live, wild caught) and SWMBO loves seafood so I picked a few up and made this our Xmas dinner. Family and friends will be around through this weekend so this is our last night to ourselves.

IMG_3583.jpg

I wanted to tap the Winter Warmer RIS but promised people I would wait until the party Thursday so just drinkin some SA Winter Lager.

They turned out good. Only the second time I've cooked them. Any of you regular Lobster cookers have some good tips for next time?

Tasty! I'm not enough of a high roller to buy live ;) but I've had good luck butterflying lobster tails on top of their own shells before cooking. I think it's a pretty common method, but you just scissor down the back of the thing until you get to the last ring, then open the shell down the cut, lift out the meat (still connected at the tail fins) and close the shell back up underneath. Mostly I think this allows the meat to cook from all sides in the oven. It has worked really well.

lobsta.jpg

Spent a day aboard a lobster boat in Maine this past summer. This guy (5lbs) was my dinner. :D

Edit: Best way to cook them is to 'steam' them in a stock pot. To do so, fill the biggest pot you have with 2 inches of water, add a handful of salt, cover and bring to a boil. Once boiling, add lobsters and turn heat to low and cook for exactly 20 min covered.

I prefer them broken into pieces and slow cooked in a really garlicky red sauce. The rest of my family likes them split and stuffed with a ritz cracker and seafood stuffing - I usually use a combination of scallops, shrimp, clams and crab. I dod a couple for my MIL's birthday over the summer. Lobster was $4.99 a pound, so I sprung for a 10#er, and six 2#ers. I just to a 10 minute steam (had to break out the keggle, because my biggest stockpot was way to small, as was the turkey fryer) then do a quick chill in ice water. Split, stuff, wrap claws and the end of the tail in foil, and finish in the oven till the stuffing just starts to get golden brown. By that time the lobster has finished cooking but isn't dried out. Oh - I also punch a small hole in the tip of each claw to let the water drain out of them - makes much less mess at the table.

$4.99\lb...damn! That's one of the perks of living in RI i guess.

These were $9.99 a pound and that's pretty good for here in Ohio. I did steam them with highly salted water and some old bay style seasoning. The tails seems tough to me but maybe they are supposed to be like that?

We used to stick a bamboo skewer up their arse (where the 'vein' of a shrimp would be) to keep the tail from curling up but that was just a presentation thing.

Back