acid blend - quick question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark_

Reaction score
Hey folks,

I have a 2 oz. bottle of LD Carlson acid blend but I can't find anywhere what the concentration may be. I'm trying to figure out how much to add per gallon to increase acidity by about .15-.20%. Any thoughts?

Thank you in advance!

-Mark

As an added note: I see places like EC Kraus cite 1 tsp per gallon to raise .15%. Is this a standard?

I will of course test it afterwards but am curious if that's a good starting point.

Mark_ said:
As an added note: I see places like EC Kraus cite 1 tsp per gallon to raise .15%. Is this a standard?

I will of course test it afterwards but am curious if that's a good starting point.

If you have a two oz jar, measure about half that.

One oz of acid blend will give you .15% (for a 5 gallon batch).

I think most winemakers who use teaspoons to measure out stuff generally follow the 1 tsp raise .15% as pretty save, level teaspoon, not a big heaper:) You might want to add less then you calculated and give it a taste first, like they say its easy to put in a hard to take out. WVMJ

Awesome folks, thank you. That worked out perfectly. I estimated about 4.5 gallons and used both of your calculations which turned out to be the same actually.

My initial TA was about .55% and using what you recommended turned out to be about .73-.75. Perfect for my slightly sweet red.

Thanks again! Here is a picture after the first racking. Kmeta and acid added during the transfer and a layer of CO2 added! How does she look?

image-776666715.jpg

Back