Rehydrating yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beccabrew

Reaction score
So I put on my first batch of apple cider with fresh pressed apples and I was told to rehydrate the yeast. So from what I understood from the package was to put the yeast into 1/3 cup of water and put it in the microwave for 15 seconds- how I got that off the back off the package i don't know!!! I'm so mad at myself. Because then I read online that the yeast should sit in the water for 15 minutes then pour it into the apple juice. So it's been 2 days and my s.g reading has only moved 2 tiny lines down the hydrometer and it's in a favourable area for fermentation. I'm afraid my yeast has died. Any suggestions? Should I add some more yeast? Gahhh..

I would add more yeast. I wouldn't be surprised if the microwave killed it. You can use the microwave to heat the water for rehydration. Just add the yeast after it's heated.

If you microwaved the yeast themselves, I would just go ahead and repitch. I don't know that microwaving yeast kills them, but it seems likely.

My general rule: Don't microwave anything that's living ;)

I never rehydrate dry yeast. Just dump one new package in and shake like hell!

I'm a lazy SOB... i dont even shake it. i just pepper the top of the liquid with it, and close her up. the oxygen layer at the top of the bucket helps to get them going. Seems every time I hydrate my yeast with 85F water, the fermentation never takes off.

Back