Airlock acivity continues.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petey_c

Reaction score
Normally my airlock activity has ceased after about 4 days or so. This time it's continued for 15 days. About three days ago it was every four or five minutes. It hasn't been one of those 4" wide blow off tube events, but has anyone else had airlock activity that went on for a long time? :confused: Pete

Funny you should say that. Today I walked by a batch that I have not had the time to bottle and I looked at it and there was some movement on the airlock. Mine is not continual, but I was surprised after this long for any activity.

Yes... Plenty of times...always just CO2 coming out of suspension... well at least in my case it was. I suppose an infection could do that too or a REALLY big beer. I've also had krausen hang around for over 3 weeks in a fully fermented kolsch.

Airlock activity is not a good way to gauge fermentation..If your concerned take a hydrometer or refractometer reading, then another in a couple days.

You're getting to about the point you're going to want to condition or bottle. I'd take the hydrometer reading wait 3 days take another if no movement bottle it. Or cold crash, gelatin, or keg whatever you were goipng to do.

You can get airlock activity from the weather changing... storms coming in and leaving with high and low pressure systems... Has happend a couple times to me with a couple batches a month after they finished... :)
Edit: mystery I solved of the missing airlock fluids...lol

Should mention I used to use cheap vodka in my airlocks and switched to starsan during the spring and have noticed lots of little bubbles in the airlock of finished brews and chalk thoes up as Co2 coming out from vibrations... I also move my buckets or carboys a couple days before racking and notice alot of activity when they start to warm up :)

Bottled the brew in question the other day FG = 1.002 ABV~ 7%. AHS American Pale Ale w/booster...

Latest posts

Back