Fermenting for 8 days now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bhughes

Reaction score
I'm using a carboy with a blowoff tube, and I was just wondering, is it normal that the blowoff tube is still bubbling every 30 seconds or so? It's been about 8 days of fermentation. It's an IPA that had an OG of about 1.072.

I've only used buckets with airlocks before this and the bubbling usually last no more the 3 or 4 days. I thought fermentation should be mostly done by now. Even if not, I would think the bubbling would stop by now. Just seeing if the bubbling usually last this long for anyone else?

Fermentation can't be monitored with the airlock or a watch. Your hydrometer is you answer, when the gravity is the same for 3 days in a row your done. But just knowing that your Gravity was 1.072 8 days is most likely not enough time and in fact after the "primary" fermentation is done you should let it sit longer to do a "secondary" cleanup after itself.

This is the most common topic in the beginners forum and simple search will find that a lot of people just wait 3-4 weeks for things to finish up and then rack and either bottle or keg the beer from there.

Lot's of things increase the fermentation period. The most common factors are low temperatures, the type of yeast and high gravity beers (like IPA's). I once had a stout bubble for nearly two weeks. Just give it time to stop bubbling for a few days or check with a hydrometer to see if it's reached final gravity before bottling.

Tom

Sounds like it is still pretty active to me. Is the krausen done?

I have read that alot of experienced Hbers have let their batches ferment about 3-4 weeks (instead of 1 week) and that they mostly do not do a secondary - they just do a ferment in primary for 3-4 weeks - but this is a personal preference.

Maybe take a reading with hydrometer and check levels?

I am a newbie so maybe wait til an experienced HBer replies to ya also. I have only done a couple batches but the second batch is a Belgian and it is fermenting like a madman - I just added a blowoff tube to it.

Cheers

I've had several beers (usually bigger ones) that were still venting a little after two weeks, but only your hydrometer can tell you if it's done. If you plan to secondary, I'd wait until the end of the second week and check the gravity. If it's good, rack it. If you're not going to do a secondary, just leave it 3-4 weeks and check the gravity and bottle if it's good. Either way it's not done right now, and even if it wasn't still bubbling it's too early to do anything.

I usually just let my beers ferment in a primary for 3 to 4 weeks then bottle. I was just curious that this one has been bubbling for so long. I won't mess around with a hydrometer reading until I bottle since I know it will be done by then (it has no choice).
The kraussen is still pretty thick on top by the way. About an inch.

The Robust Porter I did recently was still going (slowly) on day 8 or 9 IIRC, and the thick krausen didn't drop until day 11 or 12.

Back