Does this Hard lemonade look ok? (with pic)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davevg

Reaction score
Put 5 gallons of this together Saturday. Used lemon concentrate and 1 ½ lbs sugar. Here’s the deal tho, the concentrate had pulp in it and I did not filter it out. Anyway it looked ok and I let it sit over night. All appeared to be ok in the morning. Activated some EC-1118 yeast and put it in yesterday morning at about 6 am. Checked it out about 12 noon and this is what it looked like.

Taste it. It's probably fine. Pleast tell me that's black marks in the outline. Otherwise that look really scary!

:tank:

i make this quite often except i use some malt extract so its similar to mikes hard lemonade.
it can take the yeast a while to start due to the high acidity.
i get the yeast hydrated in plain water then add a bit of sugar and some of the lemonade concentrate over the course of 6 hours to get the yeast acclimatized.
this thread gives yoopers advice that helped me out a lot
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=12104&highlight=mikes+hard+lemonade

Well...I just don't know what to say about that HB...*shudder*

I revived that thread that rod mentioned. I want to see what people think of adding crystal light as a backsweetener.

:tank:

I checked it again this moring stll no bubbling. rod i just hydrated the yeast and put it in. Shoulld i redo it the way you explained above.

devaspawn and homebrewer_99 you are to funny lol:D

i had 1 batch i didn't condition the yeast slowly, just put it in the main batch, and it took 2 weeks to start fermenting
but it still tasted fine at the end.
i would recommend hydrating and slowly condition another pack of yeast then add to your main batch.

When I use fruit usually run it through a blender to break up the pulp. I also use a 6 gal carboy so the floating fruit doesn't get pushed up the neck by the CO2.

I would also consider getting rid of those bubbler airlocks and use a 3 piece instead. If any of the fruit gets into the bubbles you'll never get it out.

devaspawn and homebrewer_99, Drive here to pa and you got it. Gatta wait 4 months tho.

Back