Bottling Setup/Equipment question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grace1760

Reaction score
I'm preparing for my maiden brew. I have a plastic 6.5g fermenting bucket that I'm going to use for primary, and a 5g glass carboy that will serve as secondary/conditioning. My question is related to bottling: do I need a third bucket with a spigot to bottle? If the answer is "no" (as I'm hoping), what's the best way to prime the fermented beer in the carboy?

1) add the corn sugar/water mixture to the carboy and swirl it around (being as careful as possible not to stir up the sediment or oxidize the beer.
2) rack to the cleaned/sterilized primary bucket, add the sugar and then bottle from there.
3) other?

Thanks,
Grace:fro:

Welcome. A bottling bucket will definitely help. I cannot imagine trying to prime a carboy and then siphon to the bottles. You can do it either way you describe, but it will be difficult. bottle fillers include in most kits themselves can be tempermental and leak beer. If you do the second one, boil water, add priming sugar to dissolve, cool, add to primary and then rack beer on top of it.

What equipment will you use to bottle?

Thanks Hoosierbrewer. I will use a siphon and bottlefiller, I've never used it before but it has a valvle at the bottom to control flow. I think I'll go back to the primary, to try to ensure good swirling of the sugar. It just seems like it opens the beer up to infection or oxidation (is infection a concern at this point?).

Always santize. When I bottled, I put the beer on top of the dissolved priming sugar. It mixed well. You could gently swirl some. A bottling bucket is cheap. If you are near Warrenville, I know the shop there usually has them.

Back