Simcoe or Columbus (Tomahawk?) in a Pilsner/Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eddiewould

Reaction score
Hey,

Looking at brewing a Pilsner/Lager type beer this weekend. I've got some left-over hops in the freezer, some Simcoe and some Columbus. Can I use either of these in a lager/Pilsner type beer? Or should I stop being cheap and buy some new hops?

The Columbus I have has a AA% of 15.2% (adjusted down to 13.8% for age)

Cheers
Eddie

I would stop being cheap and buy some hops (though theres nothing wrong with being cheap). Those hops you have are for american style ales....would be way out of place in a lager. Especially the simcoe.

I'd save them and make an APA or IPA after your lager. Good luck.

I would stop being cheap and buy some hops (though theres nothing wrong with being cheap). Those hops you have are for american style ales....would be way out of place in a lager. Especially the simcoe.

I'd save them and make an APA or IPA after your lager. Good luck.

Yeah I've been brewing IPAs all Summer/Autumn (hence why I've got American hops) but we've got some cold weather here now so time to brew a lager. Cheers for the advice =)

depends on your hop schedule and what profile you are going for.

either would work in a restrained amount but won't result in a traditional lager

Back