Clover Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brazedowl

Reaction score
I am on an edible flower wine kick and wasgoing to do clover wine. As usual I went to jack keller's site to get the recipe. Alas his spoke only of red cover and all the ones around here seem to be white. I know the white ones are edible, but do they make as good a quality wine? are they as fragrant/flavorful?

Anyone out there tried it?

Are you talking about the clover look-alike plant sheepshire? It has a tangy flavor in the fleshy green bits of the plant that comes from oxalic acid.

A wine made from this would be "lemony" in flavor and very tart if not back sweetened.

These guys:

05282009_clover.jpg

I tasted one, just about no flavor. Nothing even approaching acidity or lemony

I'm guessing those would be easier to work with than dandelions.

I would eat a handful of them at one time. I can't really taste dandelion flowers unless I eat the petals from about 3 flowers all together.

If it helps, I've done mead with a few different batches of clover honey, and I really like them. My favorite came from a higher alpine clover variety (supposedly) and was bright and almost fruity up front with a pleasantly earthy aftertaste.

If you try this, I'd like to hear how it turns out.

EDIT: Just found this on another thread: http://www.fao.org/docrep/V2350E/v2350e05.htm

"White clover is regarded as a plant edible by humans (Launert, 1981): "An infusion of the dried flowers makes a fine tea substitute. The young leaves, gathered before flowering, can be added to salads, sauces and soups? on their own they can be used as a vegetable and prepared like spinach." Moderation in use is recommended possibly because of the cyanogenic potential of some clovers varieties; Wheeler and Vickery (1989) found that north American varieties had notably lower cyanogenic potential than most European varieties. Again, it is perhaps not appreciated that a type of dry "wine" can be made by fermenting flowerheads, sugar and wine yeast."

THe locust trees should be blooming in your area soon, they would make a much better flower wine than clover. WVMJ

Latest posts

Back