Very confused, too much pre boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warriorpoet85

Reaction score
I am very confused. Brewing biermunchers centennial blonde (8.25 grain load). I used 34 quarts (8.5 gallons) of water in total including both my mash water and batch sparge water. After draining the mash tun, i came up with 8.25 gallons of water.... Obviously way too much for my intended 6.75 gallons (boil off 1.25 in an hour with my set up). I used two calculators to help me use the right numbers. Help me please. Now I have to boil for two hours

Hpnme please.

Also, I mashed at 152 for one hour and sparged at170 for ten minutes. Drained my first runnings and then spared and combined those two volumes.

If I do that will I miss out on any of the sugars by the water that's left in the mash tun?

Also, will my beer taste terrible after being boiled for an extra hour? (I am adjusting the hop schedule to start when I get down to the 6.75 I originally was aiming for).

Sorry to hear of your difficulties, although this is one that's much more fixable than others (with time and propane:D).

Measure your first wort runoff. For illustration purposes only, let's say 3.5 gallons. If single batch sparging, subtract that amount from your target pre-boil volume (say 7 gallons) and that gives you your sparge volume of 3.5 gallons (since the grain is already soaked).

If you are double-batch sparging, divide that number into two for each sparge.

The extra boil time won't harm the wort.

You may have lost track of how many quarts you put in originally, happened to me once in a biab. I put a gallon or so more then I was supposed to and didn't catch it till the end of the boil. From that point on I always watched how much I had in the kettle as I was filling it, in your case with each sparge. You may have also double or triple sparged when you meant to single or double. Those are my best guesses, because if you sparged with 8.5 gallons you would have been left with around 7.5 gallons not counting dead space, so you should have been fairly close. If I batch sparge I have a gallon or so extra, mash 1.25 qt/lb, then find out how much I got out of the 1st runnings. With what I have in 1st runnings, I subtract that from the total I need. Then divide that by two because I double batch sparge. However never go off calculations, as you fill your kettle with the last sparge watch your amount and kill the last sparge if you get to much.

Save yourself the trouble -- just add some DME or LME to get to your desired FG. You'll just more been beer than anticipated.

That makes a lot of sense. Should have thought about it that way! Thanks for the help.

And thank God for good neighbors (my brewing buddy) who had an extra propane tank!

Save yourself the trouble -- just add some DME or LME to get to your desired FG. You'll just more been beer than anticipated.

That'll work if he has a large enough fermenter (like a 6.5 gallon bucket). You need the headspace.

Problem isn't the fermenter it's the one 5 gallon keg I have haha. I'd bottle some but I force carb (bottling got old quick).

First time I made this mistake (only second batch since the mash tun though. Was BIAB before that).

We brew, we make goofs, we learn, we make beer, we drink it.

It's all good.:mug:

Back