dry hoping alternative?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamk222

Reaction score
hello im new to brewing beer but have been brewing wine for a good bit but my most recent batch of beer tast a little sweet and lacks the bite i wanted and i came to the conclusion that i didnt use enughf hops and i read abought dry hoping but dont want to add hop pellets to my beer and got to thinking can i simply boil the hops and then chll it till the hops sinks and then siphen it into my fermenter what do yall think????

I added them to the brew. Others have made hop tea and put it in, and it works, but if you are going to let it sit a while, any loose hops should settle out.

Let us know how the hop tea/syphon works!

Dry hopping and making a hop tea are two different processes with two different objectives. Making a hop tea by boiling hops and straining the water is a way of increasing total bitterness in the ale. Dry hopping (almost always with whole hops) is adding unboiled hops directly to the fermenter or secondary to increase the hop nose.

You might want to try the hop tea first to counter the sweetness, then dry hop to improve the nose.

Boil them for 40 mins to extract the bitternes you require and strain this resultant 'hop tea' through seive. Make sure you clean the seive well they are notorious for harbouring bacteria.

If you only want hop flavor boil for 10 mins. For added aroma dry hop in the cask.

thanks guys i made the hop tea and added it to my brew i can only hope that it helps i hope to bottle it in 2 to 3 days and be ready by feb 14 by my calculations its curently at 6.45 abv and i hope to have i at 6.5 by bottoling starting gravity was 1.070 current gravity is 1.020 not sure what to call it though if i had to name it it would be a amber honey wheet beer well ill let yall know how it turns out

adm222, check out " Designing Great Beers -by Ray Daniels" there is a really interesting chapter that explains Hops and how to use them. He also goes into dry hopping too.

all i have 2 say is holly crap guys did the hop tea ever work i mean after the bottoling it was nothing short of wonderfull no other words do it justice thanks for you help guys

If you don't want to put hops in your fermenter you can add a bunch of hops as you take the pot off the boil and let them steep for 20 minutes before you start cooling the wort.

Latest posts

Back