Blizzard

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tropical break.

3377972558_308d19cebe_z.jpg

Have over 24" of snow here. Got out early with the snowblower and got it all cleared out. Time to go pour a homebrew and relax!!!! :D

This just in...29.3" in 24 hours...all time record for Portland, ME...oh, and still snowing with gusts in the 40 mph range...NICE! Lower barometer than the Blizzard of '78.

Really? looks like closer to a foot on my balcony!

Mine too! I think all of the snow falling off of the roof got trapped there. When I saw the balcony I almost smiled, then I got closer and saw barely anything outside. It's weird. I already shoveled out both cars and might do my driveway next. I'm debating whether I should even bother.

Managed to push the door open just enough to slip my wife and a shovel out to clear the door area out. Thank heaven for little women. I'm going to have another cup of coffee before I go destroy my back.

LOL. Why didn't I think of that! Mine sat on the couch the whole time!

We got about 15 inches here... Just back in from plowing and shoveling. Going to take a hot shower put on some sweat pants, relax with some homebrews and watch some hockey the rest of the day. Good luck to everyone digging out!

I'd add to that list for others reading this- make friends with the homebrewers in your neighborhood - not only do they have a stock of beer they usually have an outdoor cooker and pots to make a large batch of soup.

We probably got 25-30. Snow drifts 4' or higher. Thank god for snow blowers

I think we're about the same here...tough to say with some of the drifts. I'm thankful to live on a street where my friendly neighbors like using their snowblowers - we had 4 foks going up and down the street helping everyone out (like me)...A real communal effort here. Time for a homebrew. :mug:

No more than 5" here, but that's plenty as far as I'm concerned. It's enough that I had to shovel out a space on my deck for brewing tomorrow.

deck.jpg

I got right at about 2 feet or so. It was tough trudging through the snow and digging my basement door out so I could get to my brewing equipment, but I made it. My Thunder Snow American Brown Ale is on the cusp of boiling. Got to go make sure it doesn't boil over. Cheers! :mug:

We're dug out from right about 24" of snow here, give or take due to drifts.

My neighbor's son (I call him Mr. Useless, the Non-Wonder Boy) got their snowblower running after a fashion. He then tried to shove a 12" deck into 2+ feet of snow and kept stalling it all day long. Fires it up... *whump*... *sputter*...silence,... *F$%K!* Lather-rinse-repeat for 5 hours. Damned near gave everyone in the neighborhood carbon monoxide poisoning, but did very little else. You can smell the clutch burning down the block, but he doesn't seem to be aware of this.

My wife and I cleared our driveway (twice as large as our neighbor's) with shovels and finished up about half and hour ago. The neighbor is *still* screwing around with the snowblower. Some people sure enjoy being miserable.

Hope you are all well and not miserable.

Roof rakes. Or sometimes they go out a window on the veranda and clean some off from there
I have had a ladder on my garage before and cleaned it off

Wow, ya no worries don't mind being stuck in with some home brew for the weekend. Just wish I had some ingredients to brew with

Thunder_Chicken said:
We're dug out from right about 24" of snow here, give or take due to drifts.

My neighbor's son (I call him Mr. Useless, the Non-Wonder Boy) got their snowblower running after a fashion. He then tried to shove a 12" deck into 2+ feet of snow and kept stalling it all day long. Fires it up... *whump*... *sputter*...silence,... *F$%K!* Lather-rinse-repeat for 5 hours. Damned near gave everyone in the neighborhood carbon monoxide poisoning, but did very little else. You can smell the clutch burning down the block, but he doesn't seem to be aware of this.

My wife and I cleared our driveway (twice as large as our neighbor's) with shovels and finished up about half and hour ago. The neighbor is *still* screwing around with the snowblower. Some people sure enjoy being miserable.

Hope you are all well and not miserable.

Too f-ing funny. Spent 5 hours outside with the neighbors - got my driveway taken care of plus two others. Had a couple Brown Suggas afterwards. Kids outside all day sledding and playing. Chicken soup going on the kitchen stove. My ass is firmly planted on the couch at this point. Still some work to do on the back deck and the driveway (wind's been piling up drifts again), but that can wait until tomorrow. Definitely not miserable...in fact, quite satisfied with this blizzard experience. :mug:

Jeepinctbrewer said:
Still no plow truck

Thunder_Chicken said:
None of the side streets are plowed up in Springfield MA. It's going to be a while before we're completely dug out from this.

That's too bad. I have to say I was very impressed with the plowing around here. I live on a cul de sac - definitely not a high priority street - and the plows came through several times last night and the street is perfectly passable. Hope you're all dug out soon.

Yep, main roads are wet/dry and clear. secondary's are wet/clear. Even the small side streets are clear here and the salt is beginning to work on them too.

Too f-ing funny. Spent 5 hours outside with the neighbors - got my driveway taken care of plus two others. Had a couple Brown Suggas afterwards. Kids outside all day sledding and playing. Chicken soup going on the kitchen stove. My ass is firmly planted on the couch at this point. Still some work to do on the back deck and the driveway (wind's been piling up drifts again), but that can wait until tomorrow. Definitely not miserable...in fact, quite satisfied with this blizzard experience. :mug:

Oh I wish my neighborhood worked like that. My neighbors are really miserable and I'm just happy that they can generally keep their dramas on their side of the fence so I can just spectate and not be forced to participate. There are actually a lot of great people on the block, but both of my immediate neighbors are bozos. I lock my doors religiously because of them.

Checking in from Hamden, the winner of the snow sweepstakes. Apparently, we had the highest total snow at 40" here. I don't doubt it. We had a crazy amount with insane drifts. Plows are not powerful enough for the amount we got, and the town has a total of 4 payloaders. My road isn't lowed except for where my neighbor dug us out this morning (he's in construction).

We're all safe and in decent shape. Last night sucked though. My snowblower picked up a doormat and I blew a shear bolt. Didn't have a replacement and the worst of the storm hadn't even started. Luckily my neighbor had a bolt that fit. Lifesaver.

Been drinking homebrewed porter all night. Feeling good...

Checking in from Hamden, the winner of the snow sweepstakes. Apparently, we had the highest total snow at 40" here. I don't doubt it. We had a crazy amount with insane drifts. Plows are not powerful enough for the amount we got, and the town has a total of 4 payloaders. My road isn't lowed except for where my neighbor dug us out this morning (he's in construction).

We're all safe and in decent shape. Last night sucked though. My snowblower picked up a doormat and I blew a shear bolt. Didn't have a replacement and the worst of the storm hadn't even started. Luckily my neighbor had a bolt that fit. Lifesaver.

Been drinking homebrewed porter all night. Feeling good...

Sounds like you win! You can keep on winning, I'll cheer for ya! We got a couple of feet with a lot of drifting. It was all dry snow here. No big deal really, more like normal expectations of winter.

Loaders are about useless for winter highway maintenance except for doing what they were made for, loading trucks. We use them for clearing intersection corners and clearing driveways when we high wing banks. My town, small town, uses 2 single axle dump trucks with fixed directional front highway plows and wing plows and spreaders for sand and salt. One of those is 4 WD for mtns. We have another 10 wheeler equipped the same and one 10 wheeler with just a spreader body for sand/salt. We have 2 1 ton trucks with multidirectional highway plows, one has a spreader body, and we use a 1 ton pick up with a multidirectional plow which has a utility body for tools as needed. We have 1 Cat loader and I drive a Cat 140 M Road Grader with fixed directional highway plow and wing plow winter package. This is new, I used to run a Gallion 850 Road Grader thus equipped plus 6 wheel tire chains if needed. There has never been a storm or series of storms that has stopped us and we don't get that Rocky Mountain fluff here. One storm was over 4.5' of wind driven sleet of a real Nor' Easter which packs like the dickens as any snow belt East Coast resident can attest to.

Back