Colorado Springs brewers, where do you get your CO2?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottlindner

Reaction score
I'm looking to reach out to all brewers in Colorado Springs. I'm new to town and haven't filled my CO2 bottles since moving here. I was paying $8 for a fill at a local welding supply company in my former city. I could only find AirGas locally to fill CO2 and they want $22. Where does everyone get their tanks filled here?

Also, where is a good place for a hydro test? I think both of my tanks are beyond their dates.

Cheers,
Scott

22$?!:confused:

I go to airgas here and they only charge about 12$ for a fill/swap.

Wish I could be more help...

Yah. Needless to say I was a bit shocked. At that price it'll be cheaper to buy some cheap champagne by the case and modify the CO2 lines to connect to the champagne bottles and give them a shake every couple of days.

Can you imagine what the hydro test will be? It'll probably exceed the price of a new tank.

$12 is reasonable and I would gladly pay that. I really need to find some local brewers. Maybe I'll give one of the homebrew shops a call.

Scott

When I did my 5lb tanks, I used WineCrafters. Duane is very helpful and you could get it filled on Saturdays (or while you wait). When I got my 20lb tank I took it to Acme Fire & Safety Equipment since I had a larger tank. They did the testing for me and charged me $25 for 25 lbs. They have a deal on Fridays where they will fill the tank while you wait.

I also fill mine at Acme Fire and Safety, it's right off of Nevada and 1-25 sort of. I think last time I filled up I need a hydro test with it and the total was like $25 or something usually only a $1 a pound. If you drop your tank off in the morning or I believe before 2pm. because they do all their filling at 2 you can get it back the same day. If you hydro test tack on an extra day though.

I also fill mine at Acme Fire and Safety, it's right off of Nevada and 1-25 sort of. I think last time I filled up I need a hydro test with it and the total was like $25 or something usually only a $1 a pound. If you drop your tank off in the morning or I believe before 2pm. because they do all their filling at 2 you can get it back the same day. If you hydro test tack on an extra day though.

Thanks for sharing. That is a good price for the file and hydro test.

Cheers,
Scott

Wanted to update the thread with info from today. I called around town and found the following prices for refilling a 5# tank.

General Air - $16 (exchange only)
Airgas - $19 (exchange only)
Acme Fire and Safety - $18+tax (limited hours for while you wait refill service)
Colorado Compressed Gases - $16.95+tax (refill)
Cintas Fire Protection Services - off of Garden of the Gods - $17.75 (refill)​

I ended up going to Cintas because it was close by for me. Took maybe 10 minutes and the price they quoted was the total ie: $17.75.

I don't recall the price. I have been going to Rocky Mountain Brewery to get my CO2. At least I can snag a tasty brew and BBQ while I'm there.

This may be off-topic, but I just started 5 gallon brewing up by Chapel Hills mall. Are there any clubs our meetups in town for HomeBrewTalk?

This may be off-topic, but I just started 5 gallon brewing up by Chapel Hills mall. Are there any clubs our meetups in town for HomeBrewTalk?

I live by Chapel Hills mall as well. I haven't spent too much time looking for groups but I wouldn't mind starting a small and informal one. Only one catch for me, I recently started a family with little ones and haven't brewed in a couple of years. This will change and my wife is constantly trying to find ways to help me get the time to brew again. So it's going to happen, but it might be a little bit. I will send you a PM with my personal email address. Hold on to it and let me know whenever you brew. We'll eventually sync up.

Scott

I stopped by RMB tonight on the way home from work to have a couple pints...I'm out at home....Imperial IPA getting kegged in a few days though.

Anyway, 5lb CO2 tank, $18 for a refill...takes a few minutes....you can sit at the bar and have one while waiting.

Hey Scott, check out the Brew Brothers of Pikes Peak, we're a homebrew club that meets once a month in and around Colorado Springs. lots of great guys and gals. Our website (out of date, new IT guy is still wrapping his head around things) http://brewbrosco.com/wordpress/, but we're also on Meetup: http://www.meetup.com/brewbros/

cheers,
'peteybrew'
coloradobrewing

When I did my 5lb tanks, I used WineCrafters. Duane is very helpful and you could get it filled on Saturdays (or while you wait). When I got my 20lb tank I took it to Acme Fire & Safety Equipment since I had a larger tank. They did the testing for me and charged me $25 for 25 lbs. They have a deal on Fridays where they will fill the tank while you wait.

That's a good deal. I've paid about $20 in the past to fill a 5# tank at Colorado compressed gases.

Latest posts

Back