Zuljin's Next Brew. You Pick It.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zuljin

I come from the water
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was gonna list my likes and dislikes, but the dislike list would be so short.

I was gonna list what I brew most often or want to brew in the future.

Maybe what yeasts I have on hand. Or other influences upon the decision.

But screw that. That's some shiftless cable company stuff there. Telling people they can choose and then telling them what they can choose. I aint shiftless like that. No. I'm quite shifty.

Pick something by Friday morning. I'll take most popular or decide by some other criteria.

RIP. Russian Imperial Porter. :D
Old ale
Something over 8% :D

Leave the spices and other crap out of the beer. Just use grain, hops, water and yeast.

Black licorise & buckwheat honey ale.

A Spelt and rye porter with cardamom and coriander spices.

*licorice

And both of those are so specifically close to things I've brewed. Specifically close with unusual ingredients. Licorice, buckwheat honey, spelt and cardamom. One of you knows. The other I'm now suspicious of. :p

I think a reasonable North English something or other would be in order. I've always wanted to use North English in a sentence. Thank you so much.

Yes, that sounds continental. That would be a good choice.

Just be sure to use good English yeast (I like Wyeast 1318 and 1335), classic English hops (hard to go wrong with EKG) and malts. I actually make a great English brown ale (neither north or south, combining the best of both). It's one of the recipes in my rotation list. :D

I must be secretly spying on you. How did the spelt and cardamom work out?

It was buckwheat honey black beer from Radical Brewing. A search of spelt will bring up the thread about the whole brew. The flavor came out great. It has a bit of RC cola flavor, but not at all like an RC poured into a beer. The big downfall was it being under-carbed. I've a few left, but I doubt time has added any more carbonation. I'll make it again. It's one I want to really dial in as a house beer. The White House honey ale is another.

One piece of advice I got was that a little cardamom goes a long way. I believe it.

Maple brown ale, aged on toasted maple chips.

That's one I plan on doing eventually, so maybe you can do the initial research for me :p

Bastardized Schwartzbier

5.5 Gallons

9# 2 row Pale Ale Malt
8oz Weyermann Light Munich
4oz Weyermann Dehusked Carafa II

.5oz Warrior @ 60 mins
.5oz EKG @ 15 mins

Mash @ 154
60 min Boil

German Ale or Lager yeast. I've made it with WLP830 German Lager, WLP029 Kolsch and Nottingham and actually prefer the Nottingham fermented @ 54-57F. Very similar to New Belgium 1554.

Bastardized Schwartzbier

5.5 Gallons

9# 2 row Pale Ale Malt
8oz Weyermann Light Munich
4oz Weyermann Dehusked Carafa II

.5oz Warrior @ 60 mins
.5oz EKG @ 15 mins

Mash @ 154
60 min Boil

German Ale or Lager yeast. I've made it with WLP830 German Lager, WLP029 Kolsch and Nottingham and actually prefer the Nottingham fermented @ 54-57F. Very similar to New Belgium 1554.

Wow, bastardized is the key word on that one...

Schwarzbier keeps coming up, so I may as well do the buckwheat honey black beer again. :mug:

Asparagus pilsner oddly sounds right. Like asparagus and pilsner would pare well together.

Okra ale? If I were Creamy, I'd do it like this.

Make a wheat beer and take it to secondary.
Cut up okra into bite size pieces.
Heat a wok and add just a splash of white cooking wine. Just enough to get the okra frying.
Fry the snot out of the okra and fry it a little more. No batter. Just fry the plain okra, but careful, don't burn it.
Blot off all the moisture I could with paper towels.
Dry hop with it for a few days.
Bottle.

Papazians rosemary oat pale ale. I love that beer. Easier to pull off in the summer with access to a bunch of homegrown rosemary though.

If you, or anyone else for that matter, made an asparagus pilsner and sent me a bottle, I would happily taste it on camera.

Back