Group Buy in Chicago #6

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How do we set the cutoff for this current buy?

• Close it on Monday, October 8, 2012 11:59 PM

• Close it when we reach 164 sacks?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Neopol's PJ, NS and magnum sound good to me. Maybe others as well

That Chinook is pretty cheap, it seems to be sold out most places I look or close to $20/#. I think I might just go for a few pounds of Simcoe and Amarillo though, Starman makes them look so good and whole leaf works so much better with my system. Has anyone tried contacting Hopunion directly and calling MCM out on their bullsh*t?

MCM will sell us hops that they have in stock at the South Holland warehouse. However, they will not drop ship hops from another warehouse or sell home brewers contracts. They do not want to be bombarded with home brewer groups or clubs requests for hop contracts.

Looks like its time to start a very unprofitable business then . Not sure what the legal fees and business license would run.

I wouldn't mind being able to source Dingemans and Simpsons malts as well. I wonder who/how those are distributed.. Cargill?

Looks like its time to start a very unprofitable business then . Not sure what the legal fees and business license would run.

I wouldn't mind being able to source Dingemans and Simpsons malts as well. I wonder who/how those are distributed.. Cargill?

A church in South Evanston runs an organic bulk food co-op out of some back room that's only open Saturday mornings and run by volunteers to keep overhead to a minimum, everyone who shops there pays $3 a year to help cover costs. Something like that for a homebrew shop would be awesome.

Confirming hop splits

Hallertau Hersbrucker Split:
5# havoc531 (3lbs Kenny, 1lbs Grady, 1lbs Doug)
1# Gothic Horror
3# opteek
1# scotty77
1# miamiweiss
1# Demon
0# remaining, closed

Saaz split:
3# opteek
1# scotty77
1# miamiweiss
1# remaining

The remaining varietals per bmason are:
Centennial
Columbia
Golding
Fuggle
Horizon
Mt. Hood (sub for Hersbrucker)
Liberty
Crystal
Ultra
Santiam
Sterling (sub for Saaz)
Nugget
Perle
US Tettnanger
Willamette

Any objections, please speak up.

Just received an email telling me that Briess products are available to us. Should I modify all of the 2-row to Briess? Should we open the buy so people can modify their own orders?

Could you open it back up for say 24 hours so we can adjust? Would we be able to add grain? I still want to try great western but if we can get Breiss as well I'd like to get some of that...

if you could open it up so i could add the wood i wanted?? i know you won't have sympathy, but i was at gabf all weekend and didn't have a chance to try and add the honeycombs :eek:

and unless i'm mistaken, all the pallets are full, so no adding grain, just switching

Ok, for those that want the Briess, send me a PM and I will modify the spreadsheet. Too much work to modify the pricing in the database in such a short time.

Are we putting in a separate hop buy to another vendor from the list bmason1623 posted?

Im good with my grain order!!!

Can someone please pm me explaing how this hop splitting works. Id like in but not sure how it all works....thanks!

I'll take that last pound of Saaz if still available.

Randar, since Saaz is not available from CMC I have had to substitute Sterling. Let me know if you are interested in Sterling.

Confirming hop splits

Mt Hood subbed for Hallertau Hersbrucker Split:
1# Gothic Horror
3# opteek
1# scotty77
1# miamiweiss
1# Demon
0# remaining, closed

Sterling subbed for Saaz split:
3# opteek
1# scotty77
1# miamiweiss
1# remaining

Centennial
Columbia
Golding
Fuggle
Horizon
Liberty
Crystal
Ultra
Santiam
Sterling (sub for Saaz)
Nugget
Perle
US Tettnanger
Willamette

Confirming my 1# of hallertau.

Gothic Horror, I have had to substitute Mt Hood since the Hersbrucker is out of stock. Please confirm you are still interested. See the list below for what CMG has in stock.

Confirming hop splits

Hallertau Hersbrucker Split:
1# Gothic Horror
3# opteek
1# scotty77
1# miamiweiss
1# Demon
0# remaining, closed

Saaz split:
3# opteek
1# scotty77
1# miamiweiss
1# remaining

Centennial
Columbia
Golding
Fuggle
Horizon
Liberty
Crystal
Ultra
Santiam
Sterling (sub for Saaz)
Nugget
Perle
US Tettnanger
Willamette

Awesome they're allowing Briess now, maybe they'll lighten up with the hops as well. I'm not changing anything this time, but next buy I'll probably be looking for some Briess stuff. What hop buys are currently happening through MCM? I lost track of which ones I was a part of that are still happening, I think maybe Pacific Jade and Cascade?

I just received the following response from a hops supplier:

"Yes, we do offer contracts to home-brew clubs. How about you send me 'wish-list' with varieties/volumes and I can quote accordingly. I can tell you right now the real hard to get 'C' hops require a 2 year commitment."

Added another reply from the vendor:

"We do not offer any NZ hops. We do offer European selections such as CZ. Saaz, Gr. Hallertau MF, EKG, GR. Magnum, etc."

Who wants to start compiling a list? Neoplo, starman, someone? Also, I am going to keep our source anonymous. Both Neopol and I have done a lot of leg work on this so we are not too anxious to share our "fruits of our labor". We will understand if it turns some people off and do not want to participate. Thanks, for your understanding.

havoc531 said:
Randar, since Saaz is not available from CMC I have had to substitute Sterling. Let me know if you are interested in Sterling.

Confirming hop splits

Mt Hood subbed for Hallertau Hersbrucker Split:
1# Gothic Horror
3# opteek
1# scotty77
1# miamiweiss
1# Demon
0# remaining, closed

Sterling subbed for Saaz split:
3# opteek
1# scotty77
1# miamiweiss
1# remaining

Centennial
Columbia
Golding
Fuggle
Horizon
Liberty
Crystal
Ultra
Santiam
Sterling (sub for Saaz)
Nugget
Perle
US Tettnanger
Willamette

Havoc can you exclude me from the sazz order. I only wanted sazz. I already have 1# of sterling in my freezer.
Thanks

I'm a bit confused about which of the previous hop splits are still in play. But if the ones I was signed up for have fallen through (saaz, magnum, northern brewer), I would be interested in taking over 1lb of sterling from scotty77.

Havoc531, sure, keep me on. Thanks. I would be interested in this possible group buy that Bill and Neopol got cookin'.

I'm inclined to kill the Northern Brewer split entirely instead of trying to sub it out.

I'm a bit confused about which of the previous hop splits are still in play. But if the ones I was signed up for have fallen through (saaz, magnum, northern brewer), I would be interested in taking over 1lb of sterling from scotty77.

It is confusing. Bill, can MCM currently fill any of the hops on the original order without substituting?

I think the de Magnum might have still been in play based on the distributors email.

I don't mind doing some legwork to facilitate a bulk hop buy thru a different vendor but maybe we should split it to a new thread. Myself quite guilty of thread pollution, this thread is a mess with respect to grain buy info.

I will submit a new list and they will confirm availability on everything including the hops. I already posted which one are not available (can't remember where).

I think we will need to do a separate hops buy for the hops not available through MCM.

ok. we are at 168 sacks which is exactly 4 full pallets at 42 each. I hope they can spread the other items across the 4 pallets otherwise we will be charged for a fifth. I am sending over the new list for quote in a few minutes.

EDIT: We are at 170 sacks which is over the 168 limit. How should we handle this?

Seems silly to pay for shipping on a pallet that's only 5% full. I'd prefer to drop it (voluntary sack reduction) or fill it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back