Canadian Blonde advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BenRuss

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I have a Coopers Canadian Blonde extract and some left over quantities I ingredients. I just need a little help with the ratios. The kits calls for 1kg of Coopers Brew enhancer 1 but all I have is about 275g of Dextrose and 1.3kg of Light dry malt.
Do I just use the amount of Dextrose I have and add as much of the LDM I need to make 1kg?
Or do I reserve a cup of the LDM for priming and toss everything else I have in and see where it goes?

I am guessing that the 1 kg of enhancer they are calling for is LME (liquid malt extract). You have DME (dry malt extract) so use that. Keep in mind that DME is 20% more concentrated than LME so use .8 kg. But really if you used the full 1 kg it would be maltier and probably taste good too. I'm sure either way your beer will taste fine.
My humble opinion is that you'll have even tastier beers when you move away from brewing by cans and get into extract kits that have come cooking of hops involved. BTW Brewhouse offers kits where you just dump the bag into your bucket, adding water and yeast and they taste really really good.
SHAL

Thanks, I am pretty sure I will follow your suggestions and just try it. Can't really ruin it I din't think!

Cooper's Beer Enhancer 1 is 60% dextrose and 40% Maltodextrin

I make up the Canadian Blonde kit with 500 grams of light DME and 700 grams of dextrose and I really like the result. (Confession time: this was recommended on a CraigTube video. I'll admit I enjoy watching the guy do his thing.)

With the ingredients you have I'd probably dump in the works of the DME and about 100 grams of the dextrose. I generally use 180 grams of dextrose to bulk prime 23 litres of Canadian Blonde. It would be a little lighter in alcohol (not much though) and a little heavier in body than I'm used to but I'm guessing it would still taste pretty nice.

Yeah, thanks. I had sort of contemplated that approach as well. Reserve enough dextrose as I need for priming and then just have at er.

I went ahead and just used everything I had, boiled my DME and Dextrose, added it to the kit and diluted to 23l starting gravity was around 1.045 so we will see how it goes.
I will likely use cane table sugar to prime.

Yea was going to recommend the same thing just dump er all in. Usually I use half dextrose and half malt in most of the coopers kits. Also if you like the beer a little stronger try topping it up to 20L instead of 23L.

It is hard to go wrong with the Coopers kits im sure it will turn out fine!

Cheers

Latest posts

Back