All-Munich is okay, right?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captain Damage

Reaction score
I'm planning on doing a 3 gallon brew tomorrow using 6 lbs of Munich and no other malts. The literature all says Munich will convert itself, but with a quick search I didn't see any all-Munich recipes. So I figured I'd double check. Is what I'm planning doable? Are there any other caveats re Munich?

3 gallons
6 lbs Munich
1/2 oz hallertauer (60)
1 oz hallertauer (30)
1 oz saphir (3)
1 oz saphir (0)
Chico yeast

There is enough diastatic power in Munich Malt to convert itself. You can check the specks on the malt. Look at who made it and you can go online and check it or ask your hbs for the diastatic power of the malt. I believe that you need greater than 30 Lintner.

Altbeir is what you are looking for.
[ame]http://www.google.ca/search?q=altbeir+all+munich&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a[/ame]
Last one I did almost all munich was beautiful. I used 4oz of chocolate malt, and some carapils I wanted to get rid of. 25 IBUs with hallertauer and tettnang, 1054 OG mashed at 150F with wy2565 (kolsch)

Thanks!

What I have is Weyermann dark Munich, 8L. Weyermann's website doesn't give a Lintner rating, but says "use up to 100%," so it looks like I'm cool. I'm planning on a 150F mash.

I have a Munich/Northern Brewer SMaSH with WLP001 that is not only educational, but delicious. You could say it lacks complexity, but of course it does, after all it has 4 ingredients. Not Reinheitsgobot 4, but FOUR.

I've done a SMaSH with Munich malt and Summit hops before. I wasn't a huge fan of the hop, but the malt profile was very nice.

Currently drinking my Oktoberfest, 100% Munich, 1.060 SG, 22IBUs, 1/2 oz Spalt to finish... S23 ... fermed between 60 and 40ish... lagered at 33 (we don't need no stinkin' diacetly rest) .... deeeelish :D

I agree with all others, you should be fine fine..... I have a SMaSH Oktoberfest that I make with 100% Munich and it is one of my most popular brews that I make

I have a Munich/Northern Brewer SMaSH with WLP001 that is not only educational, but delicious. You could say it lacks complexity, but of course it does, after all it has 4 ingredients. Not Reinheitsgobot 4, but FOUR.

Reinheitsgebot allowed three ingredients only (barley, hops and water). Yeast wasn't known when it was written. Plus it's not around any more. Only marketing people keep it alive. And homebrewers.

What four ingredients did you have to not have it comply?

Are you counting love? I think that makes 5.

I made an eleven gallon batch for a club. We each took a gallon and used different yeasts.

All munich beer Mmmmmm No matter what yeast. I used 1007.

The club bought a bag of Munich. I got the rest (just about half).
David

I have a doppelbock made of only munich and caramel 120L. I think it needs a bit of chocolate malt to give some complexity, but i had no problem with conversion. You should be good.

Mikethepoolguy said:
You could say it lacks complexity, but of course it does, after all it has 4 ingredients. Not Reinheitsgobot 4, but FOUR.

That made me LOL. :)

Seriously (and apologies for hijacking the thread) but post the recipe. Thx!

Back