Denver CMC group grain buy # 5

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dahoov

Reaction score
This is the group buy thread for the Denver/Front Range group buy from www.coloradomaltingcompany.com.

The price break is at 1000 lbs. No further breaks are available. As an FYI the 5000 lb break is for commercial operations.

The price for all malted barley is 75 cents per lb or $37.50 per 50 lb sack.

The price for all malted wheat is 85 cents per lb or $42.50 per 50 lb sack.

Unmalted grain prices are now in the spreadsheet.

Shipping is a flat $150 to the Denver Metro area.

We can plan to have them deliver to my house again. This will allow for people to pick up their grain at their leisure. I work from home so scheduling pick up times should be easy.

Jason indicated they can do a special Belgian style malt in the 3-4 Lovibond range if there is enough interest. They malt in batches of 4000lbs but he said if we can come up with greater than 500 lbs he is confident he can sell the rest.

The Belgian Style Pale malt is similar to our standard Colorado Base Pale malt which is 2.0 - 2.5 L but the "Belgian Style" is 3.0 - 4.0 L which is slightly darker and a slight kiln modification is necessary to achieve the darker color in stage 2 and 3 of the kiln schedule.

Currently they don't have any pilsner or white wheat due to demand and back orders. He believes that by October they should be caught up and will have some for us.

After discussion about payment we agreed that it made more sense for one person to collect payment and give them one check. I am willing to collect the money and write the check. We can also open an escrow account but I don't know if there is a fee for this or how the logistics work. Suggestions how to handle payment are welcome.

A mid October delivery will give us plenty of time to get everything in order and should also allow for the pilsner and white wheat malts to be available.

If people don't want a full sack I am willing to split them up for people at the house but we will need to make sure the orders total 50 lbs. The last of the grain that doesn't total 50 lbs will be dropped from the order.

Here is the link to this round's spreadsheet.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ar6AJJ8LauWwdHYyYU0yM0dWUk9PRXlybUc2TGw1aWc&hl=en_US

Well, I can't think of anything else. As I get updates I will edit this post so check back.

I used their regualr pilsner malt for a belgian blond and golden strong a year or so ago. IMHO they turned out great. If I didn't already have alot of malt from the last buy, I'd totally buy some to see how it is.

Thanks for setting this up again, Dahoov! I'm also in, but need to decide how much I can use.

I'm also interested in the Belgian style malt. I sent a note to CMC to see if they could provide any more information. I'll post back to the thread with any additional information they provide.

I got a quick response from Jason at CMC:

Yes, sorry about the confusion. The Belgian Style Pale malt is similar to our standard Colorado Base Pale malt which is 2.0 - 2.5 L but the "Belgian Style" is 3.0 - 4.0 L which is slightly darker and a slight kiln modification is necessary to achieve the darker color in stage 2 and 3 of the kiln schedule.

The colors you referenced for the Belgian style must have been a typo....sorry about that.

It sounds interesting. I think I'll try a bag.

I'd like to pitch in for a few bags. I've never pitched-in on a group buy before, but it seems pretty straight-forward. I live in the springs, but I head up to denver all the time and should be able to drop by sometime soon after you receive it.

That's often enough for me. Thanks for organizing this, Dahoov. I will definitely drop off some homebrew when I pick the grain up. What do you prefer to drink?

I prefer.....BEER!!! :mug:

I can't really think of anything that I don't like, at least some time depending on my mood, after all "For everything there is a time". :fro:

I'm in again, even though I just brewed my first batch from the last grain buy. I noticed a huge difference in the amount of hulls from CMC vs. the 2-row from BrewHut.

A quick clarifying question: I bought my last bag of two row from brew hut - $48 - 15%, so about $40+. After shipping, this stuff appears to be about the same price. What's the benefit? I certainly don't mean to sound like a jerk, just trying to find the "savings."

Was it CMC at $48 per bag? 2 weeks ago when I was there it was much more than that. Not to mention 8.1% Aurora sales Tax. If you are buying Rahr, that price sounds about right. Nothing wrong with Rahr, but I believe the CMC is a better product for my beers.

A quick clarifying question: I bought my last bag of two row from brew hut - $48 - 15%, so about $40+. After shipping, this stuff appears to be about the same price. What's the benefit? I certainly don't mean to sound like a jerk, just trying to find the "savings."

Brew Hut sells the Colorado Malting Company "Colorado Base Pale" for $65 per 50 lb sack. You can use your monthly 15% discount (word of the month) towards ONLY 1 item. That means you can get 1 sack for about $56 plus tax.

The Colorado Base Pale is significantly more modified than most other US 2 Row barley. According to the malting report I read it is capable of self converting in approximately 5 minutes. Actually it may be less but 5 minutes is when the tester made his first conversion check.

If I recall enzymatic rating (diastatic power) is in the neighborhood of (Edit: 148) whereas most US 2 Row is around 130ish. By the way the Red Wheat is 188.

Anyway, this information is just so you can compare apples to apples.

Was it CMC at $48 per bag? 2 weeks ago when I was there it was much more than that. Not to mention 8.1% Aurora sales Tax. If you are buying Rahr, that price sounds about right. Nothing wrong with Rahr, but I believe the CMC is a better product for my beers.

Yah, what he said too.....:mug:

By the way, welcome back!!

Thanks!

To add to my response to EarthBound. There are several other reasons than just monetary savings...having helped set up a few of these in the past I know that these guys are awesome to deal with and their main concern is us being happy with the product. Plus it is local, small batch malt that I believe is a superior product to others I have used.

I'm in thanks for setting this up again. I think I have made some of my best beer with the CMC I got last time. Great product! Sending you the check works for me also I don't mind backing this up into November if it means getting the right amount for the Begium.

Thanks for all of the replies. Yes, I had purchased rahr for ~ $43, and had just imagined that barley was barley. I'll contemplate getting in. As of now, I have about 30 pounds from that bag left...

Hey guys. New to the area and new to this particular group buy.

I just added what I wanted to the spreadsheet (GREAT idea by the way). Is that all I need to do for now?

~Rallo.

Skip...I may have posted it in the past...but one that I do is a blonde w about 8lbs of base pale and centennials....the cool thing about it is that you can simply adjust your hop additions and amounts to make a simple blonde one time, then a super hoppy blonde the next!

Back