DIY Stir Plate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TonySwank

Reaction score
Been looking to make one and just saw this earlier today. Haven't seen this particular design before and could be done for really cheap. Will definitely be my next project.

iLOjDXHrDW6yl42N.medium

http://makeprojects.com/Project/Homebrew-stirplate/277/1

Wouldn't use 4 magnets like that. If the stir bar happens to connect up first with a pair of adjacent magnets rather than diagonal it's going to get thrown. Just use two with opposite poles up directly across from each other.

Wouldn't use 4 magnets like that. If the stir bar happens to connect up first with a pair of adjacent magnets rather than diagonal it's going to get thrown. Just use two with opposite poles up directly across from each other.

+1 Trust me on this. Two magnets is the better way to go. Four magnets just confuses the stir bar and unless you have them perfectly spaced and aligned it will cause the stir bar to wobble, rattle and increase the likelihood of it getting tossed. You want the two poles of the stir bar to couple with the poles of the two magnets. I tried that configuration once and quickly abandoned it.

I've seen that type of stup but instead of 4 magnets, they used 1 of the flat rare earth magnets that are in computer hard drives.

That is in fact what I use. Although I wouldn't hesitate to use two button magnets if I had them handy.

I used 2 button magnets and put them on a steel washer... that way the washer became magnitized and distinguished the north and south poles.

Back