Slurry Questions???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoMaMa

Reaction score
I just racked to second and saved approximately 4 capped bottles of slurry (Safale S-04 SG 1.057, FG 1.017) which I do not plan to wash. I am planning to re-pitch some in about a week but the others may not be used for a while. The questions are these: Do I need to refrigerate them? If not, at what temp should I keep them? If so, do I need to do anything to re-energize the yeast in the slurry before I re-pitch? If so, what do I need to do and when do I need to do it?

Yes...you should refrigerate them. If you're going to this much effort to save your slurry, you should consider attempting to harvest yeast and save it in either plate or slant form. Less than $100 will get you all the kit you need to become a proper yeast rancher.

To reenergieze your slurry, simply make a 1000 ml starter 3 days prior to when you want to use your yeast.

The longest I go with yeast slurrys is a month. If they smell foul and/or are explosively carbonated -- from autolyzing-- I toss them even then.

Washing may help them last but maybe not-- who the hell knows? We ain't commercial brewers trying to get as many generations as possible brewing everyday or week. I wouldn't bother washing unless your yeast can't be found though the trub. Just more chance to infect your yeast with something you don't want in it.

Yeast farming requires much more planning ahead of time and work-- unless you are saving seasonal strains to brew out of season --you really only do it for the 'fun factor'... 'Cause or $3 to $8 of quality yeast at the LHS you can brew when ever you want and at most you just make a starter or hydrate some dry yeast.

My general rules IME. One week old will give you good viability- no starter necessary-active ferment within hours. Two weeks noticeably less viability- do a starter if you want quick active ferment. Three/four weeks make a starter at least 24 hours in advance. Gravity 1.020 to 1.040 for starter.

Always Keep the slurrys cold (close to but not freezing) and be super sanitary when handling the yeast. Cleaning and sanitizing are two separate things you do. If you can boil/autoclave or flame that is best sanitizer.

Back