55 gallon drum lid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good luck with that. I work in the environmental business and not seen a way to convert.

You've got a closed top poly for liquids...you need an open top poly with lid, ring, and gasket for solids - it will be air and liquid tight if closed correctly.

The best you are going to be able to do is cut off the top with a sawzall and not be able to replace, or find someone to trade for the open top, or buy outright...you might be able to find a poly open top for about $50.

55's are too big and I don't think anyone makes the screw on top conversion like there are for the 5 gallon pails.

Sorry to be a downer. :eek:

Good luck with that. I work in the environmental business and not seen a way to convert.

You've got a closed top poly for liquids...you need an open top poly with lid, ring, and gasket for solids - it will be air and liquid tight if closed correctly.

The best you are going to be able to do is cut off the top with a sawzall and not be able to replace, or find someone to trade for the open top, or buy outright...you might be able to find a poly open top for about $50.

55's are too big and I don't think anyone makes the screw on top conversion like there are for the 5 gallon pails.

Sorry to be a downer. :eek:

No i think you are spot on. I was just hoping their was a tool I didnt know about to help with the edges.
thanks!:rolleyes:

I'd cut out a smaller hole in the flat part, cut a gasket and lay a 1/4" piece of polycarb or acrylic on top.

You might have a really good point. I have only thought about cutting the entire top off. I really dont need the entire top off for cleaning. I am using a pressure washer for cleaning. :ban:

bytheby, i built your counterflow chiller. Great project!
Thanks again

Here is how I did mine when I made an upright drum smoker.

Take a angle grinder with a cut off wheel and go just under the lip and SLOWLY cut into the barrel. You will notice that you go through on layer and when you go all the way around the top will pop off and be a reusable lid. just do some light grinding to get rid of any burrs. It takes a bit to get the hang of it but once you figure out how deep you have to go it goes pretty quick.

Back