Beer started fermenting again after I did a hydro sample???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HIT_MAN

Reaction score
So today is day 8 in the primary. I'm brewing a hefe and since my bubbling had came to a stop I would do a hydro sample to see if I'm done. I have never had any issues do samples on my last batch but this one I could not get a good accurate reading. Sometimes it would look like 1.020 and if I took out the hydrometer and put it back in the theif I would get around 1.015ish. I must have bad technique or something.

Most importantly I put the lid back on with the airlock so I could wash my secondary so I could rack it and when I came back down I noticed it started bubbling again?!?! I thought maybe it was a fluke bubble or something but I sat in a chair and watched for 3 minutes straight and got about 5 bubbles during that timeframe. So, I'm stumped a little. I'm going to let it stay in the primary fermenter for another 3 days or so and then I will take another sample to see if it had dropped any.

So basically I'm confused on what is going on. It had stopped fermenting, I go to check for FG and prepare to rack to secondary, when I come back and it has bubble activity in the airlock.:confused:

More than likely it's CO2 escaping out of solution in response to agitation (i.e. you sampling). That's perfectly normal. That said, I wouldn't usually rack a beer after only eight days in the primary - give the yeast some time to clean up after itself.

More than likely it's CO2 escaping out of solution in response to agitation (i.e. you sampling). That's perfectly normal. That said, I wouldn't usually rack a beer after only eight days in the primary - give the yeast some time to clean up after itself.

How much longer should I wait before I rack? Also it is a hefe and I keep hearing that its one of the quickest beers to make. I have a lot of trub in my primary and I want to rack it to my secondary. How long should I keep in the secondary before I bottle it?

No need for a secondary with a hefe. Let it sit for about 3-4 weeks in the primary. Make sure the SG is stable, then bottle.

Really? I had so much trub on the sides of my primary. It seems like it would get into the brew when I'm ready to bottle. Plus their is some junk on top of the brew that I don't want in the bottle.

I am not doing a secondary on mine, it is supposed to be cloudy - plus it is an extra step. I am just going to wait for the hydro reading to come out just right and let it sit in the keg for a few weeks then drink!

Back