ATL Area Bulk Grain Buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerrific

Reaction score
So a couple of us have decided it is about time for us ATL folks to get in on a group grain buy. p4ck37p1mp has been organizing things. We would like to fill a pallet (42 bags) to minimize the shipping costs.

The catalog is here.

Post what you are interested in getting here. Pick-up will be at p4ck37p1mp's in Acworth.

To make things simpler I'm just going to put this on a credit card, you guys can pay cash on pickup. If you don't pick it up I'll tack $15 per bag after 2 weeks. :D (still cheaper than anywhere else locally)

This link to the current order as it stands is here, so you get an idea of pricing.

http://packetpimp.org/grainbuy.html

I'm still in for 2. I have PMed packetpimp with a request to change from 2 bags of 2row to 1 bag 2row and 1 bag of MO. Regardless I'm down for 2 bags. Thanks for putting this together!

Neal

Sounds like a plan to me put me down for 2 bags of 2 row and 2 bags of MO

Thanks
tony

Hehe, few more days. ;) You can store it uncrushed for months in a cool dark corner. ;) Mine is going in a room in my basement, mostly to keep my crackhead cat out of it. I already had one cat induced grain mess...

Do we know how long from order till delivery? (What is the earliest we can take it off your hands pp?) (When does christmas for homebrewers come?)

Matt

I'll add that for you. I lost the damn spreadsheet again, not sure I want to rebuilt it a third time. I'll figure the costs manually when we do the pick up day.

OK, so I just called them again to ask a few questions.

I asked about hops, they do have some, but they sell in 44lb increments. :D Thats $900 and change, I think that rules any hops in this order out. :drunk:

It should take about 4 days from time of order to delivery.

The bags are actually 25kg, so thats 55.125lb, a little bonus 4oz per bag.

We have to order Star San by the case, so 4 gallons minimum, we're short one. We can also switch that to a 5 gallon bucket for a little more and divvy it up in smaller amounts for those that don't use as much. Frankly that suits me so long as enough of us show interest to cover some of the cost. Anything in cases or buckets counts as a bag on the pallet, we're a little short of a full pallet so thats fine, I sort of figured thats how they'd handle non bagged stuff.

And for my health, please pick up your bags asap after delivery so my wife doesn't kill me. ;) She is a little peeved that I didn't ask for deposits or pre-payment. I tried to explain I'd be a little leery of handing someone money if it were reversed and that I would end up either selling the grain or using it in time anyway. Somehow that just didn't work to make her un-peeved. =P If you don't make arrangements to come get it and pay cash or paypal or what not by one week after delivery I'll be considering the grain as mine and will use it or sell it, at a markup. ;)

I checked the online spreadsheet, is that the latest? I need to change mine to 1 2-row and 2 MO.

When are you ordering? It might be smart to wait until after this gas mess is fixed. I am not in a rush.

I had gotten the sense that some of the group wanted their grain sooner rather than later, but everyone can post and we'll get a better idea. I didn't want anyone to think I'm stalling or anything. =P

And no, that wasn't the last version, sadly. I might need to recreate it again as doing things on paper and using a calculator are beginning to give me a headache.

Some questions about the star san:

1) What is the cost of the 5 gal. bucket of Star San?
2) Is the difference small enough to make buying it worth our while over buying a 4th gal and divyying that up among the three of us that want the star san?

I don't mind paying a bit more to have the star san, especially if it means I get more.

Once you place the order and we have the final numbers on everything, I'll paypal you the amount + $50 for the better bottles if that is agreeable. You are the man for putting this together. :rockin:

The 5 gallon bucket is $141, a the 4x1 gallon case is $115. Not a major money saver IMO for the hassle of divvying it up. Besides abracadabra just made things easier for us. ;)

Got you down. We're full, though I can back off a few bags if anyone else wants to jump in or add more. I'm going to place the order this afternoon, so theres a few hours to chime in. ;)

Everyone on the buy please shoot me an email at jml at packetpimp.org so I can just email everyone updates etc.

Thanks for doing this. Just a clarification, I'm in for one 2row & one wheat. Spreadsheet has me for a MO instead of wheat. See post #13.

Updated, my bad. I emailed NCM to update that as well. Freight is going to be higher, they added a fuel surcharge (what a shock).

Also a hazardous materials fee for the Star San, $15. The fuel surcharge is $38.22, so its not much per bag. $1.33 per bag.

Will be here between 1-4pm tomorrow. You guys should plan on coming Thursday or Friday (or late tomorrow if you're close). Email me if you haven't for address etc jml at packetpimp dot org is my email.

Beerific just picked his up. He forgot to bring me beer though. :( :D Bring me a couple of yalls beer to try! I want to see how mine are compared to other homebrewers. Sadly I don't have much in bottles because I keg. I need to start bottling at least a few of each batch..

Back