Ed Wort's Haus Milk Shake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeehiveBrewer

Reaction score
Hey guys. What have I done. I haven't had a beer yet that wasn't drinkable.

I did Ed Wort's Haus Pale (with Windsor yeast since they were out of Nottingham). This was my 3rd time making this recipe because I like it so much.

After 11 days in the primary, I kegged it. It wasn't clear at all. My beers were always fairly clear, and even more so after I started using a wort chiller.

This one looks like a yeasty milkshake. It looked that way before it was chilled, and even more so now that it is cold and in the keg.

Is there a common mistake which causes this?

Not anywhere near long enough time in the Primary. If I'm not using a secondary...and I almost never do....I'd never go less than 14 days in Primary...and on a Pale like that, I'd almost go a month.

Keep in mind that when you're trying to substitue yeasts, it's best to not pick a different one from the same manufacturer. They're going to be wildly different. Nottingham's closest sub in my mind is Safale S-05. Windsor is closer to S-04 but even less attenuative and flocculating. Windsor will clear eventually but it takes about 4 weeks.

Thanks guys. So, do you think it will clear up in the keg? Should I take it off of the gas? Will the few I bottled have a higher chance of blowing up?

Bottle bombs - Depends on your hydro meters.

Is the keg serving already? I sounds like your pushing your beers and not waiting for them to become great. I do it all the time but it's not the best way. I would say wait three weeks, rack it to another keg, carb and taste.

Kaui, you are very intuitive. Yeah, I was pushing this one. I've drank it early before, and although I agree it gets better with time, I enjoyed Ed Worts Haus Pale in the early stages as well.

I had back surgery and haven't brewed for a few months. I'm outta beer and drinking my apfelwein pretty quickly (danger!)

I guess I'll take the keg out of the fridge and let it finish at room temp. if that is possible. Then cool it and rack it into another keg.

What is the opposite of virtue? I wasn't very patient with this one.

If the FG was where it was supposed to be then just take the gas off and leave it cold conditioning (think lagering). The cooling will help the yeasties to settle out. When you re-serve, the first 1-2 pints might be cloudy (due to the dip tube taking from the bottom where the yeast has settled), but the rest should be clearer.

It went from 1.060 to 1.021. I didn't think that was quite finished, but checking their website it might be.

"Depending on the composition of the recipe, Windsor demonstrates moderate attenuation which will leave a relatively high gravity (density)."

I couldn't find any attenuation numbers, but as it stads, the Windsor has done 65%. I guess that could be done for a low attenuating beer.

I'm calling the LHBS next time to make sure they have what I need before I go in. Or, I'll just order online. Lesson learned.

You're thinking too much into this one. STOP serving it. Leave it cold, pour the first few pints in a few weeks to your self (They will be cloudy as hell) then have some friends over for the next few....I's all good, and no need to rack to other kegs!
+1 I just had a great beer that wasn't this great two days ago. The thing is I thought I had chill haze and it was just yeast remains, lol. Crystal clear and tastes wonderful, after a month of being cold and then 2 weeks in the kegerator.

You're thinking too much into this one. STOP serving it. Leave it cold, pour the first few pints in a few weeks to your self (They will be cloudy as hell) then have some friends over for the next few....I's all good, and no need to rack to other kegs!

Roger that. That is my nature, thinking too much into things. I guess you can't improve upon mother nature and time. Thanks to all the Kahunas and others for your input.

Back