Cocoa powder - how long in primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Malty_Dog

Reaction score
Jamil's choc hazelnut porter question. Added 8 oz Hershey's unsweetened cocoa powder with a few min left in the boil, mixed well. Been sitting in primary for 2 weeks now. Looks like bottling may not happen for another 2 weeks due to schedule. Any harm in letting sit on it 2 more weeks? I do have the option of racking to secondary if necessary. Appears to be pretty well attenuated and at FG. Thanks for any feedback!

Just bumping once to see if anybody with experience wants to chime in. If not, I'll just let it go and bottle at about 4 weeks in primary. Had heard that too long on cocoa can result in too much bitterness but looks like people's results are all over the place when I do a web search.

Either would be fine. I'd probably rack to secondary with some cacao nibs, myself. I think JZ recipe calls for hazelnut in the bottling bucket.

It won't hurt to leave it in the primary if you can't get to it, but with that much gunk in the bottom of the primary, I'd probably use a secondary if for no other reason than to make racking to the bottling bucket a bit easier. This isn't one of those make or break decision, IMO.

I've only done one beer with cocoa powder and had a lot of sediment in the bottles. I would rack it to a secondary only to try and reduce the sediment. I don't ever secondary anything but probably would if using powder again. Hope it comes out great I am going to be brewing this recipe maybe next month.

I've only done one beer with cocoa powder and had a lot of sediment in the bottles. I would rack it to a secondary only to try and reduce the sediment. I don't ever secondary anything but probably would if using powder again. Hope it comes out great I am going to be brewing this recipe maybe next month.
Cool - I'll post back how this came out then. Appreciate the advice on racking.

Back