Heads up hop heads - Mosaic (HBC 369) at freshops!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hmm, just went to me LHBS and picked up a pound of citra and a pound of simcoe and he tossed me 2 oz of this to try, should be fun. Gonna do an APA:
10# 2 row
2# vienna
1# crystal 15L

not sure but probably
1 oz Centennial @ 60
1 oz Citra @ 15
1 oz Simcoe @ 5
1 oz Mosaic @ 0
Dry hop 1 oz Mosaic and 1/2 citra @ 7 days.

Thoughts?

hmm, just went to me LHBS and picked up a pound of citra and a pound of simcoe and he tossed me 2 oz of this to try, should be fun. Gonna do an APA:
10# 2 row
2# vienna
1# crystal 15L

not sure but probably
1 oz Centennial @ 60
1 oz Citra @ 15
1 oz Simcoe @ 5
1 oz Mosaic @ 0

Thoughts?
sounds delightful. brew that bad-boy.

Biohazard said:
10# 2 row
2# vienna
1# crystal 15L

not sure but probably
1 oz Centennial @ 60
1 oz Citra @ 15
1 oz Simcoe @ 5
1 oz Mosaic @ 0

Thoughts?

I find it depressing that some people will use such an amazing and rare hop like Centennial as a bittering charge... Bu otherwise it sounds great

Sounds like a good beer, but I would use the Mosaic for flavor and aroma if I wanted to test these hops. I would switch the citra and mosaic additions. Or 50/50 the 15 min addition. JMO. Either way it looks tasty!

Yes one of the five rarest

Amarillo, CitrA, Simcoe, nelson Sauvin, centennial
eh, centennial was hard to come by a little while ago but things have gotten better.

yakimavalleyhops.com, labelpeelers.com, makingbeerisfun.com, freshops.com and others have them in stock.

galaxy and mosaic are harder to find.

I personally wouldn't consider a hop that can be grown in your back yard as rare :D.
your logic is solid, but there was a while in november & december when all retailers were out of centennial. gawddam craft breweries... :D

to get this back on track: farmhousebrewingsupply.com has both 4 oz and 1 pound bags of mosaic (as well as nelson sauvin... and centennial! they also claim to be getting more citra and amarillo soon).

I'm waiting on my 'Mo Gumballhead to finish but it seems like a good pairing with wheat.

I picked up some Juniper berries the other day and made a tea for one glass and I think that my next batch is going to have a half ounce or so thrown in. The flavors work really well together.

I brewed a Rye pale ale this weekend, its a modified Sierra nevada pale ale recipe. I was blown back by the Mosaic's aroma out the bag, so I am trying to conserve it by only utilizing it in the whirlpool.

10% rye 5% cristal 10L 5% carapils 80% two row
1oz Magnum -60min
1oz Perle -60min

1oz Nelson -Whirlpool (15min)
1oz Mosaic -Whirlpool (15min)

1oz Centennial in hop back

1oz-Chinook Dry hop
2oz Cascade Dry hop

11 gallon batch @ 1.055OG with a projected IBU of 52.

The wort tasted quite good, the spice of the rye and Nelson hop should be interesting with the mellon aroma I was getting from the Mosaic, and the citrus from the 3C's. I'll start the dry hop Wednesday, and hopefully get a good taste on friday. should be ready to keg next Wed.

Im very intrigued by this hop.

Bsquared, your use of chinook is interesting... i wouldn't have used it since it's more of a spicy & dank hop, IMO; while everything else in your recipe is more on the fruity side.

should be a very complex beer!

Sweetcell, Yes I see your point about Chinook, but I had a pale ale from Societe brewing here in SD that was all Chinook, the 10/19 Obrien's anniversary ale, and it really did not have that dank spicy character that you ,and I, would expect from Chinook. I think using it as a dry hop will give me a similar flavor as the 10/19 ale.

I'm very interested in how it will come out, hopefully it will be good, I have 10 gallons of it!

I'm brewing an IPA with Mosaic and Falconer's Flight both for the first time this weekend, here's the recipe:

60 min mash @ 150F
60 min boil

14# Maris Otter
.625# Victory
.625# Cara40

White Labs 002 English

2oz Magnum @ 60 min
1oz Mosaic @ 0 min
1oz Falconer @ 0 min
1oz Mosaic & 1oz Falconer dry hop

-Any critiques or opinions?
-Should I move any of the Mosaic or Falconer to FWH?
-Instead of mixing, should I do all Falconer at 0 and all Mosaic dry hop or visa versa?

Thanks for the help! :mug:

I'm brewing an IPA with Mosaic and Falconer's Flight both for the first time this weekend, here's the recipe:

60 min mash @ 150F
60 min boil

14# Maris Otter
.625# Victory
.625# Cara40

White Labs 002 English

2oz Magnum @ 60 min
1oz Mosaic @ 0 min
1oz Falconer @ 0 min
1oz Mosaic & 1oz Falconer dry hop

-Any critiques or opinions?
-Should I move any of the Mosaic or Falconer to FWH?
-Instead of mixing, should I do all Falconer at 0 and all Mosaic dry hop or visa versa?

Thanks for the help! :mug:

Being that mosaic is the product of nugget and simcoe I can only asdume that it would be very clean and smooth as a FWH. Question is, do you want yo squander that glorious hop aroma and flavor with a long boil? I would however recommended doing a steep (around 180°F) instead of a 0 minute to really help keep the oils intact or doing half oz @ 0 and half oz steep with both varieties. The DH and bitter charge look good as does the grist.

I'm racking a Zombie-Dust-like IPA to keg tomorrow that was dry hopped with 3oz of Mosaic. I definitely get a big berry aroma from it. I can see where they get the blueberry descriptor from.

I've got pretty high hopes for this hop. It smells really nice so far. We'll know more in a week or so.

Being that mosaic is the product of nugget and simcoe I can only asdume that it would be very clean and smooth as a FWH. Question is, do you want yo squander that glorious hop aroma and flavor with a long boil? I would however recommended doing a steep (around 180°F) instead of a 0 minute to really help keep the oils intact or doing half oz @ 0 and half oz steep with both varieties. The DH and bitter charge look good as does the grist.

I appreciate the advice. I've never thought of doing a steep, but it makes more sense than a 0 minute especially since I don't own a wort chiller and it'll take me ~35 minutes to get to pitching temps in the ice bath.

I appreciate the advice. I've never thought of doing a steep, but it makes more sense than a 0 minute especially since I don't own a wort chiller and it'll take me ~35 minutes to get to pitching temps in the ice bath.

One thing you might want to try if this is the case, use your chiller to get you down to 170º and then stop chilling, then add the mosaic hops. and let it steep at 170 or so for 5-10 min before continuing your chilling process.

Here is a whole thread about people discussing this technique
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/how-get-best-hop-aroma-flameout-additions-213803/

Update on the all mosaic pale ale. 8oz of mosaic late additions in a 5 gallon batch, 2.5 of that in dry hop. These were the whole hops from fresh hops.

Really grassy/vegital until I pulled the dry hops from the keg. After that its slowly been getting better over the past 2 weeks.

Mosaic reminds me a lot of NZ hops. Reminds me of watermelon right out of the tap. As it warms its all rhubarb. The aroma actually gets better / more intense as it warms and sits for awhile. And it lasts forever. About 30 min in the glass and I still have a strong hop aroma.

Overall great hop. Worth trying and paying a bit extra in my opinion. It will be interesting to see people try different combos with this one.

Bsquared said:
One thing you might want to try if this is the case, use your chiller to get you down to 170º and then stop chilling, then add the mosaic hops. and let it steep at 170 or so for 5-10 min before continuing your chilling process.

Here is a whole thread about people discussing this technique
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/how-get-best-hop-aroma-flameout-additions-213803/

Great advice and great thread! I read the whole thing last night. Ill be trying that method this weekend.

Drinking my (mostly) Mosaic IPA right now.

It is basically the Fat Head's Head Hunter grain bill, with Centennial, Columbus, Simcoe and Mosaic. Mosaic got added in larger quantities that the other 3.

I definitely get the watermelon / berry taste that others are reporting. I also have a slight vegetal taste after a 7 day dry hop.

Overall, it's a solid hop I think, but it didn't knock my socks off.

Ok an update on my all mosaic IIPA (recipe posted earlier). It's now kegged and carbed and my oh my it is delicious! Total fruit bomb of a hop for sure. Lots of peach, grapefruit and melon notes and flavors with a lingering bitterness on the finish and with all the crystal and white wheat it's velvety smooth! It's very simcoe like only without the piney and sometimes grassy flavor of simcoe. I'll be making this one again and again for sure!

mosaic.jpg

Ended up brewing this yesterday:

13# Maris Otter
1# crystal 20
1# victory
1# flaked oats

White Labs 002 English Ale yeast

-1.75 oz Magnum 60 min
-2oz Simcoe, 1oz Mosaic, 1oz Falconer's Flight all at 0 min
(these were added after dropping temp to 180F, then steeped for 10 minutes).
-1oz Mosaic and 2 oz Falconer's dry hop

-I wanted to add more Mosaic instead of Simcoe, but my LHBS didn't have any.

I can't wait to see how this turns out! I'll be sure to update after bottling.

Brewed a Session Pale Ale with Mosaic last night

8 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) Canada (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 84.2 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 2 10.5 %
8.0 oz Aromatic Malt (50.0 SRM) Grain 3 5.3 %

0.50 oz Nugget [13.80 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 21.9 IBUs
1.00 oz Mosaic [12.30 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 5 23.6 IBUs
2.00 oz Mosaic [12.30 %] - Boil 7.0 min Hop 8 21.0 IBUs

0.25 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 6 -
1.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient ( Fermex) (Boil 10.0 mins) Other 7 -

1.0 pkg Pacman (Rogue) (Wyeast #1764) Yeast 9 -

I'll probably throw in 2 oz of Mosaic to dry hop.

Ok an update on my all mosaic IIPA (recipe posted earlier). It's now kegged and carbed and my oh my it is delicious! Total fruit bomb of a hop for sure. Lots of peach, grapefruit and melon notes and flavors with a lingering bitterness on the finish and with all the crystal and white wheat it's velvety smooth! It's very simcoe like only without the piney and sometimes grassy flavor of simcoe. I'll be making this one again and again for sure!

Added Mosaic to one of our standard IIPA recipes which has 7 hop additions and am very happy with the results. Agree that it has Simcoe properties that are somewhat mellowed (for those that cook, the analogy that comes to mind is raw onions vs carmelized onions). Used it as a late hop addition + DH. Brewing just keeps getting better and better with the continual introduction of great hops...

I dry hopped an IPA with 3oz of it. It's been on tap about a a week now. It smells like Citra and Simcoe made love in a blueberry patch. I like it.

I dry hopped an IPA with 3oz of it. It's been on tap about a a week now. It smells like Citra and Simcoe made love in a blueberry patch. I like it.

Haha. I was trying to think of what the aroma was like (very unique) and you nailed it...

Bottled the mosaic pale today, decided to go with 2 oz of dry hop instead of only 1 oz, smell radiated out of the bottling bucket through my whole kitchen. Great hop, cant wait to see what the final product produces.

I've heard from several people that it does indeed have a bit of the garlic-onion smell to it.. I haven't used it myself, but will be using it this weekend in an IPA with Amarillo, Simcoe and Chinook.

I'm going to do an IPA/IIPA for a buddy's wedding this summer. I'm doing extract and thought this sounded good.

1lb briess caramel 20l
6oz Simpsons naked golden oats
6lbs gold lme
3.15 lbs Pilsen lme
1lb corn sugar

1oz Warrior @ 60
1oz Mosaic @ 10
1oz Simcoe @ 10
1oz Mosaic @ 5
1oz Simcoe @ 5
1oz Mosaic @ flameout

1oz Mosaic 3-5 day dry hop
1oz Simcoe 3-5 day dry hop

Og: 1.075
WLP007 Dry English Ale

I've heard from several people that it does indeed have a bit of the garlic-onion smell to it.. I haven't used it myself, but will be using it this weekend in an IPA with Amarillo, Simcoe and Chinook.

I used 4oz in my APA and never caught even the slightest whiff of either. I despise onions so it would have defiantly thrown up a red flag if it were there. That's just my individual experience.

I'm going to do an IPA/IIPA for a buddy's wedding this summer. I'm doing extract and thought this sounded good.

1lb briess caramel 20l
6oz Simpsons naked golden oats
6lbs gold lme
3.15 lbs Pilsen lme
1lb corn sugar

1oz Warrior @ 60
1oz Mosaic @ 10
1oz Simcoe @ 10
1oz Mosaic @ 5
1oz Simcoe @ 5
1oz Mosaic @ flameout

1oz Mosaic 3-5 day dry hop
1oz Simcoe 3-5 day dry hop

Og: 1.075
WLP007 Dry English Ale

oats (naked or otherwise) need to be mashed with some base malt. you can't just steep them.

Thinking about this..

Mini Mash
3lbs 2 row
.5lbs CaraPils
.5lbs Crystal 60
5lbs Pale LME ~1.054OG

1oz Magnum @ 60
.5oz Simcoe @ 20
1oz Exp. 1210 ("Super Cascade")@15 (Experimental from FHBS)
1oz Mosaic @ 10
1 oz Exp. 1210 ("Super Cascade")@ 5
1 oz Mosaic @ 0
Safale 05
Dryhop with Mosaic/1210

2 Hops I haven't tried nor even smelled yet and won't until brewday, but if I don't feel right about the smell I have Citra/Amarillo/Galaxy ect to replace either. I also haven't calculated any IBUs as of yet, this is just a base plan.

oats (naked or otherwise) need to be mashed with some base malt. you can't just steep them.

Right on, I didn't know that...perhaps I should come up with a partial mash recipe then...I like the idea of the naked oats in there. Thanks!

Maybe cutting out the Pilsen lme and doing 4lbs 2 row...

Want to use these hops later today, I have a budget kit I picked up (Partial mash) consisting of 3lbs 2 row, .5lb crystal 40, .5lb crystal 60, and 5lb pale extract. I have a variety of hops to play with. 4+ oz of each. Mosaic, citra, amarillo, galaxy, falconers flight, crystal, warrior, magnum, simcoe, and select. Also that new experimental hops from farmhouse 1210. Was wondering if any of you who have used these could give me an idea of a good hop combo? My OG should come in about 1.054-1.058. Would be pitching Safale-05. Appreciate any feed back. Thanks!

I think any of those would work together. I'd cut back on the crystal if I were doing it, but it won't be bad.

Bitter it with Magnum or Warrior, both will be clean and potent. Try FWH with them if you are partial mashing, or a simple 60 min addition.

I'd toss in some Simcoe around 15 minutes, maybe even some Amarillo

10 minutes, I'd do Mosaic, and do atlast an ounce, or 1.5 oz. And an ounce of Amarillo.

7 minutes, toss just some Citra and some Crystal to layer in some of the spice it brings.

5 minutes, I'd do more Mosaic

Flame out, I'd chill to 180-170 or so, and stop. Add something like Mosaic and something else... Let them steep.. Stir it around for around 10-15 minutes. Then continue chilling.

If you want to dry hop, I'd say the Citra, Galaxy, Simcoe, and the FF all sounds great in there. Could keep it simple and do a little simcoe and the FF, as it has most all of the big citrusy hops in there, and would cover all your bases.

I have had a chance to use Mosaic in a few different brews with different hop and yeast combinations and I am finding that it works very well in combination with many other high alpha hops. Paired it with some Aussie/NZ high alpha hops (Galaxy, etc.) and a neutral yeast and it turned out great. Also tried it with Simcoe, Amarillo, Centennial, Columbus + neutral yeast and also had good results. Curiously I threw some into a batch of what is essentially a 3F Zombie Dust clone (all Citra + British Ale yeast) and don't really care for it all that much. There is a definite off flavor that is coming through although I didn't think about whether it was oniony when I was drinking it but it is definitely there. The beer still needs to condition a bit more so hopefully it will be eliminated with time. All in all a really nice hop that is a welcome addition.

I think any of those would work together. I'd cut back on the crystal if I were doing it, but it won't be bad.

Bitter it with Magnum or Warrior, both will be clean and potent. Try FWH with them if you are partial mashing, or a simple 60 min addition.

I'd toss in some Simcoe around 15 minutes, maybe even some Amarillo

10 minutes, I'd do Mosaic, and do atlast an ounce, or 1.5 oz. And an ounce of Amarillo.

7 minutes, toss just some Citra and some Crystal to layer in some of the spice it brings.

5 minutes, I'd do more Mosaic

Flame out, I'd chill to 180-170 or so, and stop. Add something like Mosaic and something else... Let them steep.. Stir it around for around 10-15 minutes. Then continue chilling.

If you want to dry hop, I'd say the Citra, Galaxy, Simcoe, and the FF all sounds great in there. Could keep it simple and do a little simcoe and the FF, as it has most all of the big citrusy hops in there, and would cover all your bases.

I would like to cut back the crystal as well, but this is a prepackaged kit from AHS. Thanks for the input though guys. I'll let you know what I go with. For you're help you may wanna check out FHBS I just seen they listed pounds of a "popular" hop via facebook. Got myself one :rockin:

Edit: They had amarillo, but they sold out pretty quick

Back