Making Traditional rice Wine. Cheap, Fun, and Different

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Read the whole thing. I was asking about a secondary AKA a bright tank, I was asking about restarted fermentation when you introduce fermentable sugars

Halbrust said:
Read the whole thing. I was asking about a secondary AKA a bright tank, I was asking about restarted fermentation when you introduce fermentable sugars

No restart of fermentation because it goes right in the fridge for storage.

Halbrust said:
Thank you son. Is there no secondary fermentation?

If you are using the yeast balls they are dried yeast and amylase and usually a type of koji...and if there are live yeast available when you add fermentables during backsweetening/flavoring they will kick off a ferment. Yeast are yeast.

If you are using the yeast balls they are dried yeast and amylase and usually a type of koji...and if there are live yeast available when you add fermentables during backsweetening/flavoring they will kick off a ferment. Yeast are yeast.

Except that you are immediately putting it in the fridge after flavoring... so no new fermentation because you are effectively cold crashing. Yeast are yeast ;)

ive been watching this for the past few weeks and it looks flipping awesome.

Alright, now has anybody done an honest batch of this stuff yet? I'm talking a normal 6 gallon brewing bucket full of savory rice and malty Chinese balls?

I can't be fooling around with these piddly 1 gallon batches :cross: I got kids to feed and friends to, well, get drunk. :rockin:

How many balls would one use for such an endeavor?

ive been watching this for the past few weeks and it looks flipping awesome.

Alright, now has anybody done an honest batch of this stuff yet? I'm talking a normal 6 gallon brewing bucket full of savory rice and malty Chinese balls?

I can't be fooling around with these piddly 1 gallon batches :cross: I got kids to feed and friends to, well, get drunk. :rockin:

How many balls would one use for such an endeavor?

Oh, and how much wine should I expect to get from 6 gallons? Estimated, of course.

Oh, and how much wine should I expect to get from 6 gallons? Estimated, of course.

6 Gallons of rice!?!?!?!? Well this is a real rough estimation but I would say depending on rice used maybe 2 gallons. You do realize drinking this is less like a beer and more like a distilled spirit right? :D

Is it better to steam the sweet rice rather than cooking it in a rice cooker? I've had problems with under-cooking sweet rice when steaming it (the centers of some of the kernels were hard). Plus I don't have my bamboo steamer anymore. It'd be easier for me to make it in a rice cooker or even a double boiler with a predetermined amount of water.

sonofgrok said:
Except that you are immediately putting it in the fridge after flavoring... so no new fermentation because you are effectively cold crashing. Yeast are yeast ;)

Tried posting a picture of my blown up fridge...which yeast with extra sugar created. Sent a bottle off like a rocket. Didn't stop fermentation.

In my experience so far: as long as most fermentation is completed, then cold crashing in the fridge will work. If you place something in full fermentation in the fridge just to attempt to stop it, then yes - you are in for a messy suprise. Fermenting this out for a month or so, then flavoring and putting in the fridge should be perfectly fine.

I'm not even 24 hours into fermentation and I have great progress already. I've kept my batches wrapped in an electric blanket for the past 12 hours. It's very exciting to uncover them this morning to see standing liquid and the rice become much less viscous. I plan to post specifics of the batch 3 weeks from now. My 7 cups dry rice filled roughly a gallon and a half of space. Hopefully that will result in a decent yield.

Thanks for posting this idea!

Tried posting a picture of my blown up fridge...which yeast with extra sugar created. Sent a bottle off like a rocket. Didn't stop fermentation.

Wow well that stinks. For this wine at least, I have added juice straight to the filtered wine and then put it right in the fridge numerous times with no issues. I have not gotten carbonation or anything in the bottle either.

I might have missed it, but how long will it last after bottling in the fridge without changing the taste?

Nice thread.

I might have missed it, but how long will it last after bottling in the fridge without changing the taste?

Nice thread.

Hard for me to comment on as I have yet to have a bottle make it longer than a week or two. It seems to be a favorite of my wife and friends and so gets annihilated quickly. I do notice a slight and subtle maturation over that period but nothing to write home about. If I had to hazard a guess, and this is a guess only, I would say you are looking in the time frame of months before the taste significantly changes.

But even with cold crashing you can still experience slow fermentation. I have experienced it numerous times when experimenting with backsweetening a dry wine and stashing a bottle right into refrig, no sorbate on board, just k-meta. I guess we will only know if someone can leave a bottle for longer than two weeks.

Regardless, we know those who have finished their batches are enjoying them. This has definitely been a joy. Oh, and I see what I think are koji in my red yeast rice version from 11/13...they appear as black specks....both the red version and the 2 qt jars semi-filled with sushi rice from 11/18 are still bubbling away. I plan on filling a few two gallon glass jars completely next time around. FWIW, I did not go big on either batch because I did not know if I would like the final product. It only takes 21-30 days to make another batch.

ForumRunner_20121128_123325.png

ForumRunner_20121128_123505.png

nerdivore said:
Is it better to steam the sweet rice rather than cooking it in a rice cooker? I've had problems with under-cooking sweet rice when steaming it (the centers of some of the kernels were hard). Plus I don't have my bamboo steamer anymore. It'd be easier for me to make it in a rice cooker or even a double boiler with a predetermined amount of water.

You shouldn't need to. Here's how I cook rice. Use 1 rice to 2 water. Bring to a boil with the lid off, then put the lid on and cut down to a bare simmer. After 10 minutes turn the heat off completely. The rice does indeed steam, the steam finished off the cooking process and you don't get rice stuck to the bottom of the pot.

I made a different recipe for sake in a four gallon jug and ended up with a ton of sake. (I have a bunch of friends to,,,, well,,,, get drunk also haha!) It worked out great but the recipe was a lot more effort than this one was. I'm planning to make this recipe in the jug but in a much larger quantity and assume it'll work fine.

I have a 1500ml ball canning jar, a 1.5 liter carlo rossi wine jug, and some 1 gallon glass wine jugs. Which would be best for making some of this ? I will be using an airlock for all containers. I would like to be able to at least brew a few bottles of this at a time to keep it going. Not sure if anyone has tried any jugs yet or if everyone is using the large wide top glass jars only.

I have a 1500ml ball canning jar, a 1.5 liter carlo rossi wine jug, and some 1 gallon glass wine jugs. Which would be best for making some of this ? I will be using an airlock for all containers. I would like to be able to at least brew a few bottles of this at a time to keep it going. Not sure if anyone has tried any jugs yet or if everyone is using the large wide top glass jars only.

I used a wide-mouth gallon glass jar I purchased from Wal-Mart for $5.50. I made enough of a mess with the rice and wide-mouth jar that I wouldn't consider attempting a larger batch in a vessel with a typical slim neck. I can imagine the rice would not be easy to get out of the wine jugs, either.

I'd either use your 1500ml jar or spend a few bucks and get a gallon glass jar with a wide top.

Yeah I wouldn't want to put rice in, or take it out, of a wine jug. Seems like that would be a huge pain.

However, they do sound like good bottles to put the finished product in. I have been putting mine in some empty liquor bottles that I remove the labels from. These bottles in particular come with very nice rubber stoppers instead of a traditional screw cap, and are pretty much perfect for this application.

I made some of this a few weeks back. Im lucky enough to have a food market around here that sells the rice balls, 3 for .50c! I made 2 cups of jasmine rice in a rice cooker and let it go about 3 weeks. After three weeks I used a cheese cloth to separate the leftover rice from wine. I squeezed the cloth which I won't do again, I got a lot of extra rice goo in the jar. I put the jar in the fridge to help separate out the wine from rice. I'm fortunate enough to work in a lab so ill see if I can centrifuge the leftover wine/rice and separate everything out. Here are some pics of everything

Freshly pitched and over filled
image-2088952833.jpg

After a few days. The cheese cloth picked up some wine and pulled it out. Next time ill get a bigger jar.
image-602711727.jpg

Separated out but still
Lots of rice pudding on the bottom
image-3921638745.jpg

This is what I decanted off the top of the previous picture.

image-2819927159.jpg

It tasted good, sweet up front with a tangy finish. I think I let it sit to long on the rice. It was about three and a half weeks. Nice kick to it!

glenlivet said:
I made some of this a few weeks back. Im lucky enough to have a food market around here that sells the rice balls, 3 for .50c! I made 2 cups of jasmine rice in a rice cooker and let it go about 3 weeks. After three weeks I used a cheese cloth to separate the leftover rice from wine. I squeezed the cloth which I won't do again, I got a lot of extra rice goo in the jar. I put the jar in the fridge to help separate out the wine from rice. I'm fortunate enough to work in a lab so ill see if I can centrifuge the leftover wine/rice and separate everything out. Here are some pics of everything

Freshly pitched

After a few days

Separated out but still
Lots of rice pudding on the bottom

This is what I decanted off the top of the previous picture.

It tasted good, sweet up front with a tangy finish. I think I let it sit to long on the rice. It was about three and a half weeks. Nice kick to it!

When you used the two cups of rice: how much did the finished product produce? Enough to fill a wine bottle ? Or less ?

kevinstan said:
When you used the two cups of rice: how much did the finished product produce? Enough to fill a wine bottle ? Or less ?

A few hundred milliliters. The jar in most of the pictures is 500ml. I'd guess about 200-250ml. Maybe a little less, some of that was the leftover rice. The bottle in the last picture is a 1L flip top if that helps give a perspective. The flip top only has what I could pour off from the second to last picture. What's left I'm going to bring to work and spin down in a centrifuge and see how much I can get out. Hopefully another 100-200ml.

Did you take a picture in the mirror?

As I recall there are about 5 cups of rice per pound, so you're looking at 125 cups of rice. If you make all of that into wine, going by my yields and a back-of-the-envelope calculation, I'd think about 13.5L of wine, which comes out to 3.577 gallons.

Did you take a picture in the mirror?

As I recall there are about 5 cups of rice per pound, so you're looking at 125 cups of rice. If you make all of that into wine, going by my yields and a back-of-the-envelope calculation, I'd think about 13.5L of wine, which comes out to 3.577 gallons.

That was ten whole dollars at Costco. Might have to get fancy next time and get 25 lbs of sushi rice.

Unferth said:
And how much might this yield? :mug:

My boys literally go through one bag of that rice every month to 6 weeks. I recently stopped buying it with the arsenic scare in the US rice crop, and started buying Thai and Chinese rice.

My boys literally go through one bag of that rice every month to 6 weeks. I recently stopped buying it with the arsenic scare in the US rice crop, and started buying Thai and Chinese rice.

Because Chinese food controls guarantee such safety... ;-)

We always get the big bag of Thai rice from the asian grocer or my MIL picks it up for us at the commissary.

I'm no expert, but isn't that just regular long grain white rice? Will regular long grain white rice actually yield anything drinkable? I guess I'm curious, since the discussion to date is all about jasmine rice and sushi rice.

Are you being racist against my rice? Lol ;)

I think it is probably not the optimal rice to make into wine... Like maybe Concord grapes which can and are occasionally used for wine but are more often used for non-fermentable purposes. But it will work.

I'm considering holding off and getting a big bag of jasmine or sushi to do this.

Hahaha!

I just got some inspiration: Cajun dirty rice wine!

And, maybe, pork fried rice wine? Perfect in a snifter with a splash of soy sauce.

Back