Beerswap '07: Bernie Brewer's Brewery Booty

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bernie Brewer

Grouchy Old Fart
Reaction score
Sent out beers to Ryanh1801, Vermicous, and Glibbidy. Sent out some Bock, some Fat & Tired, some Blonde Ale, and some mead, but I don't remember who got what. All beers were bottled with my new Beer Gun, 'cept for the Blonde, so I'd appreciate reports on the effects on carbonation. Be honest, guys, bad reviews won't hurt my feelings.:)

All beers arrived safely today, can't wait to try them, I am really exited about the Oktoberfest!!:D

First off I think ill try the Oktoberfest

Appearance--- Popped the cap and almost no pesst, poured pretty aggressively and got no head, not completely flat but pretty close to it. Very nice color and crystal clear.

Aroma--- I like the aroma on this one, very nice and inviting smell. Just the great smell of the malts

Flavor--- Even flat, first impression is very nicely done. The malt really stands out and taste very nice, seems like the perfect balance with the hops on this one, just enough to cut the sweetness but still letting the malt stand out.

Overall--Nicely done, I really like marzen style beers and this one was no different. Might want to turn up the gas on the beer gun though or how ever that works. Did not stop me from drinking the whole thing and wanting another. ;)

on to the bock, I have not had any micro bocks so this is definitely a new one for me.

Appearance-- This one also seemed to be under carb. not as bad as the Oktoberfest but still pretty under carb especially for a lager. Crystal clear beer when held up to the light. Could not get an head on this beer too.

Aroma--- Very malty aroma, once again a wonderful aroma!!

Flavor--- Great malty flavor, this is one great tasting beer!! Not really sure what else to say, I like this a lot,

Overall---This is an amazing beer, I want more.:mug: .. My roommate had a drink and said he thought it was the best beer he has ever had, Very, very well done!!!!!

Just got home to a message on my machine that Glibbidy's brews were damaged en route. I'll hafta resend:(

Ryan, sorry about the carbonation level.......guess I need to work out some kinks on that beer gun. Oops......:eek:

Blonde

Appearance-- nicely carbed, poured with a nice 1 inch thick head, dissipated to leave a nice lacing. Nice golden color, seems to have some chill haze to it.

Aroma--- Very slight hop aroma. nice smell better than what I expected from a blonde.

Taste--- up front a very nice malty taste with just a hint of hop flavor. Perfect balance for this style, Nice mouth feel, the malt really has a nice flavor to it on this one.

Overall--- This was a very enjoyable beer, The malt flavor on this one is great. I would love to have this recipe would make for a great summer beer.

Fat & Tired

Appearance-- This one had very little carb. also, crystal clear, and wonderful almost ruby red color. This is a very nice looking brew even with no head.;)

Aroma---Very nice malty aroma off this one very pronounced.

Taste---Up front nice malty goodness, has almost a nutty flavor too it. Little sweet, but very smooth and easy drinking beer.

Overall---Once again great brew, even un carbed it still taste great.

Thank you soo much for the chance to try your beers. I am very impressed by them. Great job!!!!:rockin: Now I only wish I had more, especially the bock.

Thanks for the kind words, Ryan. I've been racking my brain trying to figure out why the carbonation was so low. It was fine out of the kegs........dunno, mebbe if I over-carbed it next time........:confused:

Anyways, if you're serious about wanting the recipe for the Potluck Ale (the blonde), click here

Bernie Brewer said:
Thanks for the kind words, Ryan. I've been racking my brain trying to figure out why the carbonation was so low. It was fine out of the kegs........dunno, mebbe if I over-carbed it next time........:confused:

Try chilling your bottles before filling them. IIRC CO2 disolves more quickly at colder temps. This might help when filling bottles. I usually try to chill my kegs before filling them and putting them on gas especially with my lagers!
Does it really make a difference? Can't say, but it maykes me feel better.

I'm looking forward to trying your bevies!:eek:

Mead

Aroma: Good aroma, wine like in nature. Could barely pick out some honey notes

Appearance: Medium straw colour.

Taste: Low honey flavour. A strong acidity. No overwhelming taste of alcohol.

Mouthfeel/carbonation: On the dry side of meads, little to no carbonation as this was a still mead.

Overall: This reminds me greatly of the majority of commercial meads, but you avoided the horrible stale flavours that always accompany them. This was also heads above most of the homebrewed meads I've had as you kept some honey character. While I prefer a stronger honey character, overall I was impressed. If this was my own mead, I would not hesitate to enter it into competition.

Oktoberfest

Aroma: High malt aroma. Could pick out some molasses notes? No hops detected.

Appearance: Good colour and clarity. A small head that disappeared rapidly.

Taste: Medium malt flavour with good complexity. Some caramel notes and maybe molasses.

Mouthfeel/carbonation: Medium mouthfeel. Carbonation was low.

Overall: With the exception of the carbonation, this was a very well done beer. I am not familiar enough with the style to rate it accurately, but the flavour was killer.

Oktoberfest-

This beer poured a decent head that dissipated quickly.
Little to no hop nose with this beer slight DMS smell to it. The malt overpowers everything else.
Very clean beer, nice malty taste. Sweet on the tongue.
Nice job.
Was this beer lagered?

Back