Batch Sparge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgortel

Reaction score
Brewing my first batch in over a year this Saturday......lost all of my brewing data in a computer crash a while back...and trying to refresh my memory on Batch Sparging.

I seem to remember that I would do a single batch sparge with enough water to bring my total volume up to my calculated preboil volume. However, reading and thinking about it...I seem to remember that I want to stop sparging at a SG of around 1.010....to prevent leaching of tannins.

So....if I do my first draining from my mash..and lets say that gives me 2 gallons....and then I add 4.5 gallons in a batch sparge....and drain all of that for my preboil of 6.5 gallons.....then I really am not controlling or preventing the leaching of tanins.

OR am I confusing fly sparging method with batch sparging with the SG measurements? i.e. no need to worry about SG when batch sparging....

Little help please.....:D

Well here's a little: Charlie sez two quarts of sparge water per pound of grain. He's talking about sprinkling it over the surface continuously though.

Brewing my first batch in over a year this Saturday......lost all of my brewing data in a computer crash a while back...and trying to refresh my memory on Batch Sparging.

I seem to remember that I would do a single batch sparge with enough water to bring my total volume up to my calculated preboil volume. However, reading and thinking about it...I seem to remember that I want to stop sparging at a SG of around 1.010....to prevent leaching of tannins.

So....if I do my first draining from my mash..and lets say that gives me 2 gallons....and then I add 4.5 gallons in a batch sparge....and drain all of that for my preboil of 6.5 gallons.....then I really am not controlling or preventing the leaching of tanins.

OR am I confusing fly sparging method with batch sparging with the SG measurements? i.e. no need to worry about SG when batch sparging....

Little help please.....:D

thats how i do it!! :mug:

Sweet! I guess my memory in my "old age" hasnt gotten so bad after all! I think I will add enough water to my mash at end of mash so that I end up with 2 equal runoffs...i.e. my mash draining and then a single sparge.

Thanks for responses.....its all coming together now.....at least in my head...which is scary.

yup, i mash at 1.5 qt per lb.. collect 1st runnings and sparge with what i need to get my pre-boil volume.. sum that need a 90min boil, like pilsner malts n such, remember to add anothe 1/2gal to pre-boil..
:mug:

For a while there I would check the SG at the end of my second sparge, it was always well above 1.010.

For a while there I would check the SG at the end of my second sparge, it was always well above 1.010.

Thanks! Thats a good idea...I think I will check my SG from initial drain and from sparge...just out of curiosity.

Latest posts

Back