What size brew kettle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McGlothan

Reaction score
Hi,

Im stepping up my operation to all grain and I am curious what size brew kettle I am going to need for five gallon batches. I am currently using a bayou classic propane burner. I do not care about the thermometer and valve, I just want a stainless steel kettle. Also, what would be a good source to get a nice quality kettle for my money?

Thanks,

Shawn

I would recomend the largest kettle your burner/stand can support (within reason). You may be doing 5 gallon batches now but what if you decide you want to do 10. If you go with a 15 or 20 gal kettle now you will be able to grow into it if you want.

For 5 gallon you need at least 7 gallon kettle but 9 would be better.

I use all Stout Tanks kettles http://www.conical-fermenter.com
They are quality and have served me well. He can customize to your hearts desire so if you don't like what he has in stock just shoot him a message with what you want.

If you want to spend less, bayou classic is fine too. I used to use a 15 gallon that I picked up for about $100

50 quarts is an odd size for brewing. 12.5 gallons, too small for 10 gallon batches, way bigger than you need for five gallon batches. The Penrose kettle works well for 5 and ten gallon batches.

Back