Bucket 7

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbals

Reaction score
Tank 7 (clone-ish)

I enjoy Tank 7 and contacted the brewery with my recipe hoping for some more info. To my surprise they responded quickly with percentages and mash schedule so I came up with this recipe.... I am currently in the middle of switching to electric (also have a newborn at home) so I hope for spring when I can actually brew this beer. I decided to post this after seeing the amount of interest (full PM mailbox) when I mentioned their email response when I inquired about the recipe. Yeast, yes the yeast- I was told its a house Belgium Strain; some others hinted it was similar to an Abby ale yeast. These are just a few I thought of

WLP510
WLP500
WLP550

Est SG: 1.069
Est FG: 1.012

8.1%

Mash Ingredients

11 lbs 4 oz Pale Ale Malt 2-Row (Briess) (3.5 SRM)Grain 77.6 %
3 lbs 3 oz Corn - Yellow, Flaked (Briess) (1.3 SRM)Grain 20.0 %
4.6 oz White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM)Grain 2.4 %

Mash Steps
Add 11.88 qt of water----------------Temp145.4 F for 50 min
Saccharification 10.56 qt of water---- Temp 154.4 F for 25 min
Mash Out Add 7.92 qt of water------- Temp163.4 F for 15 min
Sparge 0.7 at 168

6.45 Gal

0.15 oz Magnum [14.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 46.7 IBUs
0.20 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 45.0 min Hop57.6 IBUs
3.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 5.0 minHop616.1 IBUs

Dry Hop
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days

Spontaneous fermentaion? I LOVE IT!

Nah but seriously it looks tasty, I think your estimated ABV is a little high though. more like 7.6%?

It is a house yeast. Check out the profile of various Belgian style yeast, and pick one that has the characteristics you like.

Thanks "theschick" my mind has been pretty absent with the new addition to the family.

The yeast is a house strain.
I sifted though all the posts about Tank 7..... Somewhere someone talked to one of the brewers and they said the closest strain would be an Abbey Ale- If I remember correctly. When I contacted them I specifically asked about the stain used as I thought it was a real Saison yeast.

Dan

Looking at your mash schedule... are the temps listed the target temp for the step or the temp of the water to be added? I'm assuming the former, but wanted to double check. Really looking forward to trying this brew.

Are those the actual percentages? I ask b/c on their website it lists the ingredients as: Corn flakes, Malted wheat, pale malt and Wheat (raw I'm guessing?)

Also, the terminal gravity would have to be 1.008 to get an ABV of 8% - which is odd b/c their website lists it at 1.010 (your OG's match up).

Yes, actual percentages and mash schedule that they gave me. In terms of FG ,they use a house Belgium Strain of yeast. All I did was input it in beersmith, can't remember which yeast I used. I'm still a few months away from brewing this, wanna try a couple simple pales with the new (electric) setup but will probably use 3711 (just because I've been wanting to try it) when I brew.

What they said:
"Malts:
Pale Malt 77.6%
Pre-gelatinized Corn Flakes 20%
Malted White Wheat 2.4%"

I wonder if the "house belgian yeast" can be harvested from a bottle? I think I remember reading somewhere that this is not possible with Tank 7, but not sure.

I just contacted them they said they filter it and then add champagne yeast at bottling.

Here's another question. Brewing this today and pitching WLP 510 Bastogne. Any suggestions on fermentation temperature?

Just throwing this out there in case it helps anyone else. I brewed this recipe over the weekend with a bit more wheat than the OP (20 lbs 2 row(70%), 6 lbs flaked corn (20%), 3 lbs wheat malt (10%)). I have a cooler with a stainless braid at the bottom and this is the closest I've ever come to a stuck sparge. I imagine the almost 30% corn/wheat combination left me without enough husks in the tun to keep things flowing. If/when I brew this again, I'll definitely be adding some rice hulls to keep the mash loose and flowing.

Also, went with some WLP510 Bastogne Belgian yeast I'd harvested from a prior brew and I've got plenty of bubbles in the airlock today. Keeping it around 67* so it's slow but steady. Can't wait to try this in a month or so. :tank:

Well,

Considering everything I changed I'm surprised that I was only a few points low. This was the first for- all electric (What a difference), milling my own grain and using a new mash-tun. Overall it was a success and am looking forward to trying this soon..... I use the recipe above with the 3711 Yeast.

Dan B

Took a reading 9 days after...... 1.004 I think I'll give it a couple more days and move to secondary to dry hop and harvest me some yeast!

Dan B

Just moved it to the secondary to dry hop.................Wait for it.................
had to pull out my hydrometer because it just look wrong in my refractometer.
Wait for it...........................................................................................

Holy-Cow OG-1.064 moved to secondary 1.002

Dan B.

Just moved it to the secondary to dry hop.................Wait for it.................
had to pull out my hydrometer because it just look wrong in my refractometer.
Wait for it...........................................................................................

Holy-Cow OG-1.064 moved to secondary 1.002

Dan B.

That's 3711 for you. I've used it six times and always goes that low! I don't even bother with ferm temps, just let it go at room temp, which is usually in the low to mid seventies. Love that yeast.

Came out damn tasty! Next time I will ferment warmer..... room temp was 68 F

Dan B.

One more tip on this beer; I just did their brewery tour this weekend and I talked to one of the brewers there about my Tank 7 clone. I told him it was close, but that theirs had a champagne-like bite to it that mine seemed to be lacking. He said that they bottle condition it with a champagne yeast (he didn't say which one) to give it that bite.

Back