Help With first year hops troubles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kickrjason

Reaction score
I have had an issue develop with one of my plants. I believe this is the cascade but cant be certain thanks to a mix up in labeling thanks to my 2 year old. (and no he was not the one doing the labeling, just removing them afterwards)

They are in phoenix Az, on drip irrigation. Up until a week or so ago they were growing like weeds. then the bottom leaves started turning yellow. today i noticed that no new growth at the end was occurring and the end of the shoot is all shriveled.

Any help in salvaging these would be greatly appreciated.

DSCN2106.jpg

DSCN2107.jpg

DSCN2108.jpg

DSCN2109.jpg

Desperatly Seeking Help here!! i really want to know if i should trim off the affected shoots and let the rest grow. Cut them all back? change soil and replant??

PLEASE HELP!!

J

I'd trim back the first two feet of leaves anyway, but yeah, it looks like a deficiency of some sort. How did you prepare the soil for planting? Did you plant in the ground or in a container (if so how big is the container and could the roots be getting too hot...not sure how hot "too hot" is but I know Phoenix gets pretty warm this time of year)?

I planted in a large self watering container. I used all new soil. They were doing great and then all of a sudden they were turning brown and falling off.

Definetely a nutrient deficiency, hard to tell which one from your pics. I would suggest a fertilizer that contains all the required micro and macronutrients. Your garden centre should be able to help you pick an appropriate one.

Some nutrients (Boron, Sulphur, Calcium, etc.) Are what are called "non-mobile' and when the plant runs out, the new growth shows deficiency. Other nutrients (Iron and Nitrogen are the most common) are "mobile" and when the plant runs out, it steals from the old growth to feed the new growth. I would guess this is your problem but some better pics/a detailed description would help immensly.

Back