transplanting hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uglygoat

Reaction score
howdy all. i've got three hop plants, in their third season of growing. i have to leave the homestead for greener pastures, most likely by the end of the summer. the hops, for better or worse are coming with me.

i've resigned me self to no harvest this season...

i plan to dig up the crowns with as much soil around them as possible. and transplant them to their new home. they are really big, do you think it wise to trim them down before digging them up, or just take the whole thing?

any other advice on transplanting them would be much appreciated.

thanks,

tim

I have moved a year old crown once. It worked out very well. I did it in march, in SE MI. one year old Centennial, it had no problem adjusting to a new place. From what I know, they say the best time to move hops is in fall and spring. I think you should be fine, hops are very resilient plants, especially when they are 3 years old.

My suggestion is to pot them now before they grow too much, just keep them watered when necessary then put em in the ground when you move.

I have some in pots now too as I don't yet have a place ready for them.

I might be in a similar situation soon. My Cascade is about 15 feet tall now. How would you recommend transplanting that plant?

I might be in a similar situation soon. My Cascade is about 15 feet tall now. How would you recommend transplanting that plant?

Well with any transplant, you want to remove as much above ground as you have below ground, I'd say do the sam ething but gtu your lant back to a couple of feet.

Latest posts

Back