IIPA hop combination suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BA_from_GA

Reaction score
Ok, so i'm just breaking into really, really loving hoppy beers. I've always liked IPA's and IIPA's every now and then with certain foods, but recently i just want to drink them all the time.... it started when i was given the hops for the following brew by a guy who was getting out of brewing for a while.

.5 oz Summit 16% @ 90 min
.5 oz Summit 16% @ 60 min
.5 oz Centennial 7.5% @ 45 min
.5 oz Centennial @ 30 min
.5 oz cascade 6.3 % @ 20
.5 oz Cascade 15
.5 oz cascade 10
.5 oz cascade 5
.5 oz cascade flame out
1.5 oz Amarillo 7.3% 14 days.

grand total i should have gotten around 80-85 IBUs. This beer is one of my favorites i've brewed, if not my absolute favorite.

SO, i wanna do another IIPA. I'm looking for some good hop combinations, but different from what i've done here. On hand i have Amarillo, Fuggle, Wilamette, Nugget, Saaz, and Perle. Don't know that many of these would necessarily work together, but i'm not too sure.

i've thought of an all Amarillo, or possibly an American "C" hop IIPA (cascade, centennial, cluster, challenger, chinook).

what are your favorite combinations?

From what you have... fuggles, saaz, and perle would work well together. Most of the noble hops/european varieties work well together in my opinion. As for you willamette and nugget... I don't prefer them in IPAs, so I'm not help there.

If I'm doing an IPA, it's an American IPA and usually always involves Amarilla, Centennial, and Cascade. Sometimes I'll switch it up a bit, but why bother when these three do the trick?

Try this combo:
Simcoe, Centennial, Chinook, Cascade, Columbus, and US Goldings, dry hop with Simcoe and US Goldings.
It works well in the Sweetwater IPA. :)

A simple two hop combo that I really enjoy is Amarillo and Citra. I just brewed a Rye Pale Ale with that combo and love the hop profile. It is full of citrus flavor and aroma with a clean bitterness. Great combo to work with.

I've used Simcoe, Amarillo, and Centennial for my first AIPA, and Simcoe, Amarillo, and Cascade for my second.

Here is what I would do,

1 oz Summit 16% @ 60 min
.5 oz Centennial 7.5% @ 45 min
.5 oz Centennial @ 30 min
.5 oz Cascade 6.3 % @ 20
.5 oz Amarillo 15
.5 oz Cascade 10
.5 oz Amarillo 5
.5 oz Cascade & Amarillo flame out
1.5 oz Cascade & Amarillo 14 days.

Back