pony bottles for wedding

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

balto charlie

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Greetings: I have been asked to brew some beer for my niece's wedding in May. The beer will be placed on the tables as a "gift" for the guest. I prefer to use smaller 7-8 oz pony bottles rather than 12 oz bottles. Less beer to brew(200 guests) and I figure most folks won't even drink the beer.
So the question is: Where can I buy smaller beer bottles? Thanks all, Charlie

My girlfriend (soon to be finance) and I were discussing homebrew as a wedding favor and I didn't even think to go with the smaller nips to reduce the # of batches I'd have to brew - I'm going to just hop in this post in the event someone does know where to get the smaller bottles cause that would make my life infinitely easier.

Would it be cheaper to save 800 ounces (12oz - 8oz x 200 peeps = 800 oz or 6.25 gallons) than buying all of those unique bottles? I'm a cheapskate and would just wrestle up as many free brown homebrew bottles as I could on craigslist or here.

I just brewed a batch of brown ale to be a wedding gift for my friend. I made wedding themed labels and used white caps. All 12oz bottles. I'm going to tell him he can serve some at the bachelor party, or the wedding, or just drink it at his leisure. It's only 2 cases so probably not enough for the wedding day but we'll see.

I just brewed a batch of brown ale to be a wedding gift for my friend. I made wedding themed labels and used white caps. All 12oz bottles. I'm going to tell him he can serve some at the bachelor party, or the wedding, or just drink it at his leisure. It's only 2 cases so probably not enough for the wedding day but we'll see.

Any chance you can post a picture of your label? I am trying to get ideas.

Any chance you can post a picture of your label? I am trying to get ideas.

yeah but I don't have any place other than facebook to host the pic from and I'm afraid he might see it before I give it to him. Either I can wait until after that or if you have some place to host it from let me know.

It is cheaper to brew more using 12oz bottles vs 7 oz bottles. However I want to save time. If I use 7oz bottle I will brew 2-5.5 gallon batches. If I use 12oz bottles I will need to brew 4 batches.

The Morebeer bottles look good but they are out of stock.
Anyone else have another option.

Charlie, if you're anywhere near Newark, DE, I know for a fact that How Do You Brew (LHBS in Newark) carries those 8 oz. cappable bottles, and can get them in most colors. They sell them by the case. (I don't know where in MD you are, so Newark might be a bit of a haul, but I figured I'd help out if I could.)

I did this for my wedding last April and it was a pretty big hit. I wanted to do 7-8 oz bottles, but i ended up going with 12 oz. I found that the smaller bottles were pretty expensive and the money saved by brewing less did not offset the excessive cost of the smaller bottles.

Charlie, if you're anywhere near Newark, DE, I know for a fact that How Do You Brew (LHBS in Newark) carries those 8 oz. cappable bottles, and can get them in most colors. They sell them by the case. (I don't know where in MD you are, so Newark might be a bit of a haul, but I figured I'd help out if I could.)

Thanks I may look into this. Shipping is a real killer with the others, 10.00 per case. It will be over 100.00 just to ship. I think I am 2 hours away.

I did this for my wedding last April and it was a pretty big hit. I wanted to do 7-8 oz bottles, but i ended up going with 12 oz. I found that the smaller bottles were pretty expensive and the money saved by brewing less did not offset the excessive cost of the smaller bottles.

Did you bottle condition or force CO2. This is another concern. Bottle conditioning is easier but most people are clueless about the sediment.

If you frequent a LHBS, ask if they would be willing to add however many 8oz bottles you needed onto their next order for bottles. I can't imagine a LHBS having issues with that as long as their supplier carries them.

Did you bottle condition or force CO2. This is another concern. Bottle conditioning is easier but most people are clueless about the sediment.

I bottle conditioned, but it was a wit so I was really keeping with the style. I find that people are generally appreciative of something home made. I mean, its not like they are paying for it. I say bottle condition. I also find that most people are not as afraid of sediment as we think. Oh, I did print on the label to drink it in a glass. That helps out with the sediment problem I think. They can see it to avoid it.

Pulse, I'm not sure if they would ship, but it couldn't hurt to ask.

http://www.howdoyoubrew.com

The one problem with their web site is that they don't list prices online, you have to call. And jamen46 is right, the bottles are quite expensive. Chello also has a good point. If you have a good relationship with your LHBS, they'll probably be more than happy to put a couple cases of little bottles on their next order. Ya just gotta ask.

Back