Where to get CO2?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rrittenhouse

Reaction score
I am looking ahead slightly but I am trying to find a place here in Zanesville, Ohio to refill a CO2 tank. I've called MC Sports and I believe another sports store and they only refill the tiny Paintball-style cartridges.

Suggestions on where to call? I saw that some Walmart's refill but ours don't seem to. I'm really lost at who to call!?

Thanks in advance

Robert Rittenhouse

Welding supply stores will exchange and sometimes re-fill. Also some farm supply stores. Some auto parts stores.

+1 for fire extinguisher companies... funny, but the one that services my city, and most of Southern Ontario is literally right around the corner from me.

Nice. Thanks everyone. I think I found one or two places that might do it. I need to give them a call when they might actually be there tomorrow ;)

One place is a gas company that has this gas delivery truck "Delille Oxygen Co" and they always are driving around with like 30 tanks in the back for delivery so i'm assuming they fill them too. The person that gave me the hint was at MC Sports. Thats where their main tank came from that they use to fill up CO2 cartridges.

I don't have a tank yet but is it a 5LB tank I should be looking at purchasing?

Thanks

+1 on Paintball stores. I worked at one and we filled quite a few tanks for beer.

5 pounds is the standard size I would say that I have seen.

Just thought I'd throw in that while Paintball stores do fill, the one I went to charged me $20 for 5lbs. Airgas is never over $10.

Airgas, carbonic services (specialized in gas for pushing beer or making soda) places, or welding places are all the most likely places. Any size will work fine. If you have room get a 20# tank, it isn't much more to fill than a 5#'er and will last 4 times longer.

I'll just repeat what's been posted above. Over the years I've gotten mine filled at places that test and fill fire extinguishers but now, I just do trade outs with the local welding supply.

If you're getting into kegging, my opinion is don't buy a fancy new co2 canister because from what I've seen in my area, it's went from refill to just trade outs. Originally I got my co2 bottle from a fire extinguisher place that had one left over, had not been picked up and was like 10 bucks.

It's worth a shot, just going to the place and asking if they have a left over one you can buy and then just start trading it in. All the trades I've had are not the fancy brushed stainless look, but usually a dark green color, but the tanks are all sound and in good condition.

cheers

~r~

I'll just repeat what's been posted above. Over the years I've gotten mine filled at places that test and fill fire extinguishers but now, I just do trade outs with the local welding supply.

If you're getting into kegging, my opinion is don't buy a fancy new co2 canister because from what I've seen in my area, it's went from refill to just trade outs. Originally I got my co2 bottle from a fire extinguisher place that had one left over, had not been picked up and was like 10 bucks.

It's worth a shot, just going to the place and asking if they have a left over one you can buy and then just start trading it in. All the trades I've had are not the fancy brushed stainless look, but usually a dark green color, but the tanks are all sound and in good condition.

cheers

~r~

I found two places locally that I need to call tomorrow, actually! I asked on a Yahoo group and the results were "Praxair" and "Valley National Gases".

I will ask if they trade-out or refill. How much will a regulator run me? I'm not sure what I really need in that department.

Regulators aren't cheap. But as long as you take care of it, it will last you a long time.

I've used a single gauge one for years. The downside to a single gauge is that you never know when a tank is going to go empty, unless you weigh it periodically.

I'd say the upside of spending a little more money on a dual gauge is that you know how much co2 is in your tank all the time.

cheers

~r~

Back