Adding fruit to Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PavlovsCat

Reaction score
I read a lot of posts about people adding fruit to their apfelwein.

1. When should the addition take place?
2. What form? puree?, fresh fruit?
3. Does the addition need to be boiled or prepared?

Second topic: Does anyone add clarifier to apfelwein?

you could really answer either way to all of those questions, but the "best" way would be crushed (not pureed) fruit after primary fermentation either unheated or just pasteurized. Puree will leave lots of haze.

This is based on my melomel brewing experience - others may disagree.

I read a lot of posts about people adding fruit to their apfelwein.

1. When should the addition take place?
2. What form? puree?, fresh fruit?
3. Does the addition need to be boiled or prepared?

Second topic: Does anyone add clarifier to apfelwein?

I don't have any experience adding fruit for your first 3 questions, but I just made my first batch of Apfelwein and, a week after fermentation stopped, it settled out crystal clear without any clarifier. I think it would depend on what kind of yeast you use.

If your wondering, followed Ed Wort's recipe and used Red Star Montrachet Wine Yeast.

without the added fruit drops clear without any help, if you are to add fruit id recomend using some pectic enzyme. some fruits can be more hazy than others.

I'd do this similar to adding fruit to beer. If you have access to good fresh fruit, use that. Otherwise, I've heard the Oregon Puree's are very good. I'd stay away from extract.

Back