cheesefood Vanilla cream ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monty73741

Reaction score
I liked it & took a swing at it. ITs 1 am & am not sure if I:m getting fermentation. I finished up about 6 pm. so far no foam or nothing. I've only used dried yeast this is my first live. I kept it in the fridge. I took it out of the fridge & right into the fermentor

about 52 degrees is that too cold
jason

cheesefood's Vanilla cream ale
...he was a member here once upon a time.

52 is way too cold, and 7 hours is WAY too soon. Let it warm up to the upper 60s and keep it there. It may take a day or so before fermentation kicks in.

Also, all yest is alive, this is the first liquid you have used. Typically, depending on the OG, you want to make a starter for liquid yeasts 2-3 days before hand. If not, take it out of the fridge at least 3 hours prior to pitching. Since you didn't do these things, it may take even longer for the fermentation to start. Give it at least 48 hours before you worry about it.

It's good stuff, I liked it.

Don't drink any for atleast 3 weeks in the bottle, specially if you carb with DME. You'd be suprised at how much better it is at 3 weeks than 2 weeks.

I made a batch of this over a year ago and I still have over case of it left. I think it turned out how it was supposed to, I just dind't like it all that well.

:off: the title of this thread makes me want to puke :D

I made a batch of this over a year ago and I still have over case of it left. I think it turned out how it was supposed to, I just dind't like it all that well.

Yeah, I made it more than two years ago, and even though it sounded good it wasn't my thing. My best friend liked it ok, so she finished it off. It took her about 6 months, but she did drink it all eventually.

I think that it's way too sweet for my taste- I tried it several times, but kept getting "cream soda with beer" taste. I think some people have loved it, though.

I brewed a batch, and it was pretty awful at first. I let it age about 6 months, and it was not bad... drinkable... but not my style. Too lactose-y for an amber beer. Generally just wasn't happy with that batch. :p

I made some about two years ago, and I actually liked the 'creme soda beer' flavor. However, the last batch I made may have had an infection because ALL the sweetness fermented out and it tastes like an ass sandwich made of ass and poo.

Man.... years ago, at a picnic I think; I poured some cream soda into my can of beer. I thought I was crazy even then for liking it but I like sweeter stuff. I'll take a fruit beer over a porter and a witbeir over a dubbel anyday

I've made this twice. 2 years ago, with the extract recipe, and last spring as an all-grain. I think long term aging is the key-it mellows out nicely. For example, the all grian batch I brewed in May, had in primary for 3 or 4 weeks, moved to 2ndary and let it sit for most of the summer. I finally kegged it at the end of August, and just tapped it last week.

It's not to everyones taste, but I really like it. I also use less lactose than the recipe calls for so its not too sweet. This current batch will last several months since it is like a "dessert" beer-last beer of the night, or one and done.

Back