Emergency::: Natural ferment happening in Pear Juice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cugel

Reaction score
Ok,

So the expensive "pasteurized" pear I just obtained to make Perry has started to spontaneously ferment. Go figure.

What should I do - sulfite and stop that ferment and restart with an ale yeast - notty or such? Let the ferment work itself out and then add ale yeast?

Not panicking, but getting nervous... don't want all that good stuff wasted!

Thanks!

Pitching underway... ok completed.

I lost 1/2 gallon through burst plastic jugs... the other 1/2 gallon jugs were also trying to explode on me... I had to release the pressure through opening them or I'm certain I would have woken uop to 6 gallons of pear juice floating around the basement.

Luckily I went down to fuss over my bitters and spotted the mess that hadn't been there 2 hours earlier when I was fussing with my mead.

Now I'm hoping that the wine yeast I piched will work out OK with fruit juice. I would have preferred to pitch notty or another englosh yeast. Oh well. Time will tell I guess.

Back