Favorite Dry Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tagz

Reaction score
What would you consider your go-to dry yeast in terms of reliability, versatility, and flavor? Something that you would buy a few packs of to keep around the house. What do you like about it?

Interesting idea, if refrigerated is dry yeast good indefinitely? I would like to buy a whole box of safale 05 if it would save me some coin.

I keep mine in the freezer and I'm almost certain I'll use it up before it begins to go bad. The bulk buying does save money...

Tried the US05 once and I was not happy with it's poor flocculation. I probably could have gotten clearer beer with a secondary but didn't want to take the time.
Now I'll be using Nottingham as a backup or when I'm feeling lazy.

Nottingham is my goto yeast. For the last few months I haven't even had liquid yeast in stock. The only reason I do now is that I'm getting into some lagers and hefe's for the summer. I had high hopes for Windsor to compliment Nottingham but I've had problems with it getting stuck very high during fermentation (unreasonably high, 1.030 on a 1.045 batch for example).

Safale US-05. Almost EVERY batch. It'll do anything you want it to, from a 3.5% session beer to a 11% stout. It's polite, it cleans up after itself, and it's cheaper than bejeezus. Plus, it washes will for multiple batches.

But I keep a spare pack of S-04, a spare Notty, and a spare Pasteur Champagne in the fridge.

How do you like that S-33? I have a pack that I just bought in an assortment and never quite figured out what style of beer it would be good for.

I just used it in my Witbier. Its ok but next time I'm using liquid. It was too neutral for the Wit style...

So it's not going to replace WLP-400 any time soon. Oh well... the Belgians are the last thing keeping me from sticking with dry yeast exclusively.

Scotch ales, hefe's, kolsches and lagers don't have a suitable dry yeast either. a Kolsch you could probably get away with an 05, but for the extra $5, I'd rather have a more drinkable beer.

Personally, 04 and 05 are my favorites.

Scotch ales, hefe's, kolsches and lagers don't have a suitable dry yeast either. a Kolsch you could probably get away with an 05, but for the extra $5, I'd rather have a more drinkable beer.

Personally, 04 and 05 are my favorites.

S-189(only in 500g bricks so far) is a good dry lager yeast( I got 60g's left)
WB-06 and the soon to be released Munich may help with Hefe's
Kolsch really needs its own yeast IMHO
And no Peated or smoked malt will give that Scottish yeast hint of smoke flavor(I love Scottish beers)

S-189(only in 500g bricks so far) is a good dry lager yeast( I got 60g's left)
WB-06 and the soon to be released Munich may help with Hefe's
Kolsch really needs its own yeast IMHO
And no Peated or smoked malt will give that Scottish yeast hint of smoke flavor(I love Scottish beers)

never tried s-189, but brewferms lager yeast isn't very good. W-06 isn't bad, but it's not that great of a hefe yeast. I've used it and it's pretty bland, but can do the trick.

as for the scottish beers, they really do derive that earthy, slightly smokey flavor from the yeast and the cool ferment ... I just don't think it's possible to find that flavor in a dry yeast.

Safale US-05. Almost EVERY batch. It'll do anything you want it to, from a 3.5% session beer to a 11% stout. It's polite, it cleans up after itself, and it's cheaper than bejeezus. Plus, it washes will for multiple batches.

But I keep a spare pack of S-04, a spare Notty, and a spare Pasteur Champagne in the fridge.

Yep, Same here on th 05. Love the stuff.

Anyone changing their mind after the recent issues with Notty? Personally, I haven't had any issues but people seems to be struggling with it.

The only dry yeast I really like is Windsor. The rest are just too attenuative and too neutral for me (or start producing bad-tasting esters when pushed); I want a yeast with some character. Nottingham is a decent choice for when I'm looking for a neutral, attenuative yeast - but that's not really all that often.

Latest posts

Back