Fat Tire Clone My @SS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ewalk02

Reaction score
I recently brewed up Flat Tire from Midwest Supplies, which was supposed to taste like Fat Tire, but unfortunately it tasted like crap!! I used the extract recipe but since then have moved onto all-grain. Are there any good all grain clones of Fat Tire that someone can direct me to?

Here is one from my LHBS

Extract 4.5 lbs Pale Malt Extract
Grain 2.25 lbs Dark Munich
1 lbs Biscuit
.5 lbs 80 L Crystal Malt
.25 lbs 10 L Crystal Malt
Hops 1 oz Willamette (60 minutes)
.75 oz Willamette (15 minutes)
.75 oz Willamette (5 minutes)
Yeast Fat Tire Ale (Wyeast)
Mash grains for 60 minutes at 150 degrees.

Not to highjack the thread, but...

I was in Ft. Collins and did the brewery tour/tasting. It sucked there, too. But, I did buy a shirt because the logo is cool.

I made an extract clone of Fat Tire from Beer Captured; Yooper's recipe matches that one. I thought it was much better than the commercial Fat Tire *or* the Northern Brewer clone (which were pretty close to each other). Ours came out maltier and sweeter; it may not have been the same beer, but I'd make it again.

Sorry for the hyjack.......but

+1 on the Fat Tire flaming.

There was a bar in college that served FT in 6 liter steins. (Yes, 6 L is not a typo). Me an 4 buddies drained 3 of them just so we could go on the wall.
I didn't like it before that and needless to say......now the taste makes me ill.

DeathBrewer said:
uh...how the **** do you drink out of a 6 L stein???

:drunk:

you drank them all in one sitting? i don't believe that...that's almost 5 gallons.

Try a little less then two gallons, but still a heck of a lot of beer. I'm more interested in how you lift a 6L glass, or do you drink it out of a straw? :cross:

I'm a little disappointed in this thread. Clearly, Ewalk likes Fat Tire, or he wouldn't have made a clone. His beer didn't turn out as he expected, and everyone blames New Belgium for it. WTF?

Ewalk, do you know what was in the kit? How did you make it? What was your procedure? At what temperature did it ferment? How did the fermentation go - was it slow? Do you have OG/FG readings? Post a little more info, and maybe we can narrow things down.

It's possible that the kit is terrible, but it's also possible that something you did led to off flavors.

Yuri_Rage said:
I'm a little disappointed in this thread. Clearly, Ewalk likes Fat Tire, or he wouldn't have made a clone. His beer didn't turn out as he expected, and everyone blames New Belgium for it. WTF?

Nobody's blaming New Belgium--he asked for some AG clone recipes so I pointed some out and threw a Fat Tire joke in there as well since I'm not a fan.

It's cool! :mug:

Yuri_Rage said:
Ewalk, do you know what was in the kit? How did you make it? What was your procedure? At what temperature did it ferment? How did the fermentation go - was it slow? Do you have OG/FG readings? Post a little more info, and maybe we can narrow things down.

It's possible that the kit is terrible, but it's also possible that something you did led to off flavors.

Ewalk, why don't you post us your recipe, and like Yuri said, your brewing procedures so we can see what you made, and those of us willing to help can maybe come up with something....

Shoot, I'm at work on a saturday, but didn't bring my briefcase with me, I have BYO's 150 clone recipes in it...I was going to compare it to that one...darn.

Maybe someone else into helping who has it can post that recipe as well.

I've found that when trying to come up with a new recipe, or even making a clone where there are several different recipes online, that looking at the different recipes, and seeing which ingredients are common to them, is a good starting point.....

Hey, i like FT..

and I made the AG kit from Norther Brewer and it came out awesome. I saved the yeast from it, since it was a VSS, and plan on making it again.

Kota said:
Hey, i like FT..

and I made the AG kit from Norther Brewer and it came out awesome. I saved the yeast from it, since it was a VSS, and plan on making it again.

Do you have your recipe kit sheet handy? Since you liked the kit, and it is AG...I've kept all the old recipe kit sheets of the ones I liked and have rebrewed them myself, usually converting the LME to DME..

I don't have a problem with FT...although I haven't had it in a number of years (I can't find it anywhere in the detroit area) when I lived in Missouri, that was one of the few non BMC beers I could find at the beer store near me....

Couevas said:
There was a bar in college that served FT in 6 liter steins. (Yes, 6 L is not a typo). Me an 4 buddies drained 3 of them just so we could go on the wall.
somehow i read "me and a buddy" instead of me and FOUR buddies.

batesjer said:
Try a little less then two gallons, but still a heck of a lot of beer. I'm more interested in how you lift a 6L glass, or do you drink it out of a straw? :cross:

3 x 6 L = 4.76 Gallons

still quite a feat, but...i guess i've done that :D

Brew-boy said:
Fat tire why bother brewing it as to me its not that great of a beer.

Let people brew what they like. If they like BMC, brew BMC. If they like malt liquor, brew malt liquor. If they like fat tire, brew fat tire. We are here to help teach brewing and related topics, not to judge and tell people that they are brewing crap.

Yooper's Fat Tire clone is great. I made her extract version and upped each hop a addition a half an ounce just to try something a little different with it. I thought it was better than Fat Tire actually and SWMBO doesn't even like Fat Tire and she liked that clone a lot.
Also, if you can still get some of the New Belgium yeast that Wyeast had out give that a try.

Flat Tire (Midwest Homebrew)
Belgian Specialty Ale

Type: Partial Mash
Date: 3/30/2008
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.82 gal
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Brew Pot (15 Gal) and Igloo/Gott Cooler (10 Gal)
Taste Rating(out of 50): 20.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
6.00 lb Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 80.00 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 6.67 %
0.50 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 6.67 %
0.50 lb Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 6.67 %
1.00 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] (60 min) Hops 30.8 IBU
1.00 oz Saaz [4.00 %] (5 min) Hops 2.9 IBU
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1.00 items Yeast Nutrient (Primary 3.0 days) Misc
1 Pkgs Belgian Ale (Wyeast Labs #1214) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Measured Original Gravity: 1.047 SG
SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.011 SG
Actual Alcohol by Vol: 4.69 %
Bitterness: 33.7 IBU Calories: 207 cal/pint
Est Color: 18.9 SRM Color: Color

Mash Profile

30 min Step 1 Add 12.00 qt of water at 156.9 F Settled out at 155 F

Mash Notes:
Carbonation and Storage

Carbonation Type: Kegged (Forced CO2) Volumes of CO2: 2.7
Pressure/Weight: 11.2 PSI Carbonation Used: -
Keg/Bottling Temperature: 34.0 F

Fermented at 70 F for 7 days in primary, 14 days in secondary, aged in the keg for 7 days at 34 F

Thanks to people like Yuri who actually help out instead of people just giving me sh*t. I know everyone out there doesnt like Fat Tire but I do....sorry to disappoint but I probably dont like some of the beers you think are wonderful. When did this become such a snobby hobby, can't people just do it for fun anymore?

On a brighter note I just cracked open a belgium tripel that tastes amazing!

Ewalk02 said:
I know everyone out there doesnt like Fat Tire but I do....sorry to disappoint but I probably dont like some of the beers you think are wonderful. When did this become such a snobby hobby, can't people just do it for fun anymore?
You are very right. NEVER listen to someone who tells you not to brew a beer because THEY don't like it. Homebrewing is all about brewing what YOU want to brew and what you like to drink. About the worst advice that can be given is telling someone what they should or shouldn't like to drink. Everyone has their own likes and dislikes, and that should always be respected.

I haven't had a Fat Tire in years, but when I lived in Fort Collins I drank a lot of it. I have been wanting to try some ever since to see if I would still like it or not.

To me, that recipe actually looks pretty decent. Hard to say what went wrong -- what tasted bad about it?

Brew-boy said:
Fat tire why bother brewing it as to me its not that great of a beer.

See that's EXACTLY what Yuri was talking about, and he was dead-on. YOU may not like it, but the OP obviously does, and would like to brew something as close to it as he can. Why do you have to go and make a comment like that? To me that's just a ****** move.

That recipe looks pretty good. The ferment was a little on the high side, especially with a fruity Belgian yeast in a beer that only has a hint of esters in the flavor. Was the beer overly yeasty or fruity?

Ewalk02 said:
When did this become such a snobby hobby, can't people just do it for fun anymore?
Right on, brother!

Brew what you like, and if people don't like it ..... F 'em.

:off: Sorry Yuri,

Yes, I agree. If you like Fat Tire...more power to you. I just wanted to share my experience with those d@mn huge steins.

A 6L stein is approx 8 inch in dia and about 18 inch tall. (Don't quote me on that, but that is close). It had two handles and took two hands.

And no....no straws. I got sick halfway through the first stein and came back and helped power the other two.

It was a day for the history books.

Man, so many judgemental people here. We are here to brew beer. Tastes is ones' own. Just because someone likes something or doesn't, it doesn't mean its better or worse. What the crap, if people are going to drag you out into the street and shoot you then they are in the wrong place. Maybe some of the people who are crapping on people might need to stop looking down thier pants so they won't be so pissed off they have a small unit.

modenacart said:
Man, so many judgemental people here. We are here to brew beer. Tastes is ones' own. Just because someone likes something or doesn't, it doesn't mean its better or worse. What the crap, if people are going to drag you out into the street and shoot you then they are in the wrong place. Maybe some of the people who are crapping on people might need to stop looking down thier pants so they won't be so pissed off they have a small unit.

I can assure you that I do not have a small unit.

Now, let's get back on topic, ok?
The topic is his FT clone. Let's stick to it.

Ok, I brew a fat tire clone that I thought was pretty good. It was from brew your own, and was

8.4 lbs Pale malt
0.6 lbs 20l crystal
0.6 lbs 40l crystal
0.6 lbs munich
0.6 lbs biscuit
0.6 lbs chocolate
0.6 lbs carapils

1 oz willimette 60 mintues
0.5 oz Tettnager 20 mintues
0.5 oz tettnager 1 mintue

California ale yeast.

6 gallons of finished beer.

And I don't know why you dumped on me. So many people were sh*ting on this guy for liking Fat Tire and wanting to brew it, you should be Sh*ting on them, not me.

Thanks for sharing your recipe, modenacart. And I think you misinterpretted Yooper's post. Her criticism was aimed at everyone here, not just you. She must have picked up on your 'small unit' comment, though. ;)

modenacart said:
And I don't know why you dumped on me. So many people were sh*ting on this guy for liking Fat Tire and wanting to brew it, you should be Sh*ting on them, not me.

Oh I'm not dumping on you! I'm just asking for ALL posts to be on topic. You just commented on the size of our units, and some of us are sensitive about that.

Let's stay on topic and keep our opinions about Fat Tire to ourselves, ok? I happen to dislike it, but my husband loves it. So, I brew it for him, and we're both happy.

I like the recipe that modenacart posted- but I'm not a chocolate malt fan. That still looks good to me, though.

I can't believe the people that slam people when they ask for help. If they are asking for help, they want help, not people telling them they are trying to brew something they think is "crappy." Crappy is only an opinion.

One thing to keep in mind, when brewing a clone, if the water you are using is very different than the water of the brewery that is making the beer, its not going to taste the same. As long as it taste good, then I would be happy. If you follow the recipie and it taste different, it might be worth having getting your water profile so you can try to match the proper one.

If you read what I typed, it was directed at all the people who talked crap to the guy who just wanted help with his brewing and was directed at no one else.

I dunno if I'd add chocolate malt to a Fat Tire recipe. It doesn't quite seem appropriate. Munich with just a touch of Special B sound like better options.

Let's quit apologizing to each other in this thread - that's just as cluttering as the "I hate Fat Tire" posts. If it's not on topic, don't bother. If you feel the need to redeem yourself, send a PM.

Its an amber ale, so there is a lot of liberty with the color. Chocolate should be ok, but if you don't want to use it, leave it out.

Back