Can you tell me what type of beer I'm making

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GunsNTulips

Reaction score
I have long since ditched following recipes to make beer. Instead, I have slowly been adjusting a single recipe into something I like. I have found one that is very nice, but I have long since forgotten what the original recipe was. How would I clasify this?

5 lbs dry light malt
1 1/2 cups honey
1/2 lb Cara-Pils (Crushed)
1/2 lb Victory malt (Crushed)
1/2 lb Chocolate (Curshed)
2 oz Saaz (2.4% AA, pellets)
2 oz Saaz ""
Nottingham dry brewing yeast

Boiled 3 gallons water then lowered temp to 180. Soaked grains for 30 minutes. Added malt and honey then raised temperature to boiling. Added 2 oz hops and boiled for 1 hour. Cooled wort in sink and filtered it into the fermentor. Added remaining hops in cheese cloth bag then added the yeast. I don't know precisely what the fermentation temperature was, but with the heater I figure it was probably around 65˚F. Fermented this way for 1 week with frequent swirling to get the hops flavor distributed then bottled it with a little over 1/4 cup dextrose.

Initial SpGr 1.044
Final SpGr 1.006

Oh yea, this made 5 gallons so someplace I added water.

I figure it's about 5% alcohol by volume and that is perfect for me. It doesn't look like a light beer it looks more like a brown ale. It's really one of the best beers I've ever made, but I'm not into really strong beers.

I would call it a brown ale but with the Saaz in it you may not be to style for a brown. If you like the beer who cares if it's to style though? :mug:
Is this your house beer?

I'm trying to auction it off, so I would like a semi-accurate description. It is too light to be a porter I think. It looks like a brown ale, but as you guys have noticed, it's pretty light on the hops. I'm not a big fan of bitter beers, so this is what I have adapted to my taste.

It is yummy in my opinion.:fro:

It looks good to me. I like beer so anything with malt and hops will do as long as it is not infected.

Back