First brew day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scotty2

Reaction score
Been reading for quite awhile. Decided to skip extract and go right to AG. Built a MT out of a 10gal Rubbermaid cooler and a stainless braid. Decided to do a 2.5 gal batch as basically a throw away as I know there will be a lot of mistakes. I know 2.5 gals is too small a batch for the 10 gal MT. Bought hose clamps that were too big for the braid, so I duct taped it in. Despite all that, hit my mash temp of 153(märzen/Oktoberfest), and sparged without incident. Boil went fine, cooling took quite awhile in my sink. OG way way low, somehow I overshot the water by quite a bit. Added some DME to get post boil gravity up a bit. Pitched a vial of WL Oktoberfest yeast, didn't make a starter. All in all, I think it went well. When I get all the proper equipment, I'm confident I can get it right. I made my own recipe and grain bill and got from point A to point B, it's now fermenting at 55.

image-3546711933.jpg

You added DME without boiling it? Not a good idea...but it may turn out...only time will tell.

I was more interested in trying to get to the gravity. Like I said, basically a throw away, just looking to get through the entire process. I knew beforehand I might be dumping it.

I would recommend using an AG kit to start. That way, the recipe isn't a variable in your quality, just your process.

Welcome, best luck!

Cyclman said:
I would recommend using an AG kit to start. That way, the recipe isn't a variable in your quality, just your process.

Welcome, best luck!

I had that idea, but, I wanted to draw up my own grain and hop bills. I'm satisfied that I was able to cross the finish line without any real technical difficulties. My airlock started to bubble, so, I got there, it just might not be any good. Yes, the kit would certainly eliminate a huge variable.

Nice! Good plan with being okay with truly throwing away the throw away batch should it be needed. I'd recommend getting those hose clamps to replace the duct tape before the next batch, but I'm guessing you already plan to do that.

jamieofthenorth said:
Nice! Good plan with being okay with truly throwing away the throw away batch should it be needed. I'd recommend getting those hose clamps to replace the duct tape before the next batch, but I'm guessing you already plan to do that.

Doing away with the braid altogether. Buying a stainless bucket strainer seen in the "mash in a bucket" thread. At $150 shipped, it's only slightly more than a false bottom.

Doing away with the braid altogether. Buying a stainless bucket strainer seen in the "mash in a bucket" thread. At $150 shipped, it's only slightly more than a false bottom.

Looks like you are going all in with this hobby...I would suggest just keeping the braided hose and get the clamps for now...nothing wrong with that process and $150 will buy you ALOT of grain! Cheers!

DogFace_Brewing said:
Looks like you are going all in with this hobby...I would suggest just keeping the braided hose and get the clamps for now...nothing wrong with that process and $150 will buy you ALOT of grain! Cheers!

Too late! ;)

image-819894999.jpg

Back